[NatureNS] Mew gull....

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:40:49 -0400
From: iamclar@Dal.Ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

All:

The question on Mew vs. Common Gulls raised by Richard Stern is a good
one, and should always be in mind when seeing one of these  small
gulls here. This one, however, appears to be (as usual) a Common Gull
- i.e. probably from Iceland (Eric Mills, Bruce Mactavish, agree on
this). It is a second-cycle (2nd winter) bird, and the fine head
streaking (not diffuse and forming a "scarf") and extensive black on
the primaries, and perhaps the lack of black on tail, all indicate
Common rather than Mew.

It's my feeling that Mew Gull (which is now usually recognized as a
different species from Common) will turn up some day with Ring-billeds
in fields of the Valley and Cum.-Col. counties. One small-billed,
round-headed bird photographed years ago in Kings may have been one of
those, but the one image is too small and blurry to be certain.

Cheers, Ian
Ian McLaren