[NatureNS] Greater White-fronted Goose, Lesser Scaup, and others

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 02:35:58 +0000

--_ed90fbce-2881-432d-83bf-60ee19ec3956_

The greater white-fronted goose was found a little over a week ago at the B=
ack Oler Farm Marsh in Garden Lots by Nicole Wallis.  It tends out from and=
 near the entrance to the Silver Point Road.  It had been present for up to=
 a week before it was found according to locals.  Nicole captured lots of p=
hotos and Kevin Lantz was able to get a number of other definitive photos t=
oday=2C which have been analysed by Ian.  It looks like a wild bird at this=
 point and I'll let Ian put his comments on about it.  I saw the bird mysel=
f today.  I was there at 11:15 and there was no sign of the goose.  I went =
back about a half hour later and the bird was back. =20
=20
At the Back Oler Farm Marsh today were 15 green-winged teal.  In Back Harbo=
ur Lunenburg three lesser scaup were present.  I've noticed a very large in=
flux of birds that I believe must be coming back through in migration.  At =
my feeders in Bridgewater a purple finch started to sing yesterday and toda=
y nine were present.  My American goldfinch flock went up to 80 and everywh=
ere that I went today and yesterday revealed large numbers of American Gold=
finches and American robins.  Everywhere I looked today I saw American robi=
ns either on the ground=2C perched or flying. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_ed90fbce-2881-432d-83bf-60ee19ec3956_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
The greater white-fronted goose was found a little over a week ago at the B=
ack Oler Farm Marsh in Garden Lots by Nicole Wallis.&nbsp=3B It tends out f=
rom and near the entrance to the Silver Point Road.&nbsp=3B It had been pre=
sent for up to a week before it was found according to locals.&nbsp=3B Nico=
le captured lots of photos and Kevin Lantz was able to get a number of othe=
r definitive photos today=2C which have been analysed by Ian.&nbsp=3B It lo=
oks like a wild bird at this point and I'll let Ian put his comments on abo=
ut it.&nbsp=3B I saw the bird myself today.&nbsp=3B I was there at 11:15 an=
d there was no sign of the goose.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BI went back about a half h=
our later and the bird was back.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At the Back Oler Farm Marsh today were 15 green-winged teal.&nbsp=3B In Bac=
k Harbour Lunenburg three lesser scaup were present.&nbsp=3B I've noticed a=
 very large influx of birds that I believe must be coming back through in m=
igration.&nbsp=3B At my feeders in Bridgewater a purple finch started to si=
ng yesterday and today nine were present.&nbsp=3B My American goldfinch flo=
ck went up to 80 and everywhere that I went today and yesterday revealed la=
rge numbers of American Goldfinches and American robins.&nbsp=3B Everywhere=
 I looked today I saw American robins either on the ground=2C perched or fl=
ying.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_ed90fbce-2881-432d-83bf-60ee19ec3956_--