[NatureNS] Woodcock and other spring signs

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:24:38 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0336_01CD0096.876D15E0

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all=20
Rick Ferguson and I went out to the old Drummond strip mine site in =
Westville late this evening to see if Woodcock were back in any numbers =
and displaying. We were not disappointed. Before it got dark, we checked =
out several beaver dams. The ice was still frozen enough to walk on and =
we checked out several old nests- Grackles??. We found a last year pale =
bluish duck egg in one of the nests.=20
Rick put up a Snowshoe Hare. It was still mostly white although there =
was very little snow except in the woods. The Hare was sitting in a area =
that it must sit in regularly as it was a bare spot of ground next to a =
small (< 1 foot) evergreen and it was reluctant to budge from the spot.=20
We saw beavers active at 2 dams. Rick felt that water levels in one of =
the dams had dropped significantly since yesterday.=20
While walking from one dam to the other we flushed a Woodcock. A few =
Black Ducks were around the edge of the dam where there was slight open =
water and through the evening, mostly after dusk, ducks were coming and =
going. We were leaving the last dam at about 7:40? (neither of us had a =
watch) when we heard a Woodcock beep. We waited a further 5 min. before =
it stated again. Shortly after a second started to call less than 50m =
from the first. There was a curious little chatter that both gave that =
neither Rick nor I heard before. Both these Woodcock took off and left =
that spot, but we were pretty sure there was more there. After another =
short period, a third started to beep and shortly after did an aerial =
display. A fourth did the same.  We watched several of these flights =
trying to sneak close to the take off point. Great fun!.=20
At this point we started to notice planets appearing in the sky and when =
we got back to our vehicles- we had walked several km., we put up the =
scope and had a look at Jupiter's moons.=20
What a fantastic day and evening the weather was nice and warm and the =
air still. Great evening for a dusk walk!

Earlier in the day I had walked Brook Rd. and then went to the Willard =
Fraser property near Brookville to photograph the maple syrup cans on =
the taps. Sap was running freely and all buckets were nearly full. I met =
Charlie Kendell there out for a walk and we then went to a nearby small =
falls on the MacLellans Brook. I had hoped to see butterflies today, but =
too early. Charlie had seen a few small whitish moths, but I did not see =
much insect life.=20
At the Drummond we saw buds of Coltsfoot, but no flowers yet.=20
I managed to see 2 Red-winged Blackbirds at my feeder near noon and a =
Grackle in Stellarton. Rick saw 13 Grackles near his Westville feeder.=20
Spring was sure here in Pictou Co. today.=20
cheers
ken

------=_NextPart_000_0336_01CD0096.876D15E0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi&nbsp;all </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Rick Ferguson and&nbsp;I went out to =
the old=20
Drummond strip mine site in Westville&nbsp;late this evening to see if =
Woodcock=20
were back in any numbers and displaying. We were not disappointed. =
Before it got=20
dark, we checked out several beaver dams. The ice was still frozen =
enough to=20
walk on and we checked out several old nests- Grackles??. We found a =
last year=20
pale bluish duck egg in one of the nests. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Rick put up a Snowshoe Hare. It was =
still mostly=20
white although there was very little snow except in the woods. The Hare =
was=20
sitting in a area that it must sit in regularly as it was a bare spot of =
ground=20
next to a small (&lt; 1 foot)&nbsp;evergreen and it was reluctant to =
budge from=20
the spot.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>We saw beavers active at 2 dams. Rick =
felt that=20
water levels in one of the dams had dropped significantly since=20
yesterday.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>While walking from one dam to the other =
we flushed=20
a Woodcock. A&nbsp;few Black Ducks were around the edge of the dam where =
there=20
was slight open water and through the evening, mostly after dusk, ducks =
were=20
coming and going. We were leaving the last dam at about 7:40? (neither =
of us had=20
a watch) when we heard a Woodcock beep. We waited a further 5 min. =
before it=20
stated again. Shortly after a second started to call less than =
50m&nbsp;from the=20
first. There was a curious little chatter that both gave =
that&nbsp;neither Rick=20
nor I heard before. Both these Woodcock took off and left that spot, but =
we were=20
pretty sure&nbsp;there was more there. After another short period, a =
third=20
started to beep and shortly after did an&nbsp;aerial display. A fourth =
did the=20
same. </FONT><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;We watched several of =
these flights=20
trying to sneak close to the take off point. Great fun!. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>At this point we started to notice =
planets=20
appearing in the sky and when we got back to our vehicles- we had walked =
several=20
km., we put up the scope and had a look at Jupiter's moons. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>What a fantastic day and evening the =
weather was=20
nice and warm and the air still. Great evening for a dusk =
walk!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Earlier in the day I had walked Brook =
Rd. and then=20
went to the Willard Fraser property near Brookville to photograph the =
maple=20
syrup cans on the taps. Sap was running freely and all buckets were =
nearly full.=20
I met Charlie Kendell there out for a walk and we then went to a nearby =
small=20
falls on the MacLellans Brook. I had hoped to see butterflies today, but =
too=20
early. Charlie had seen a few small whitish moths, but I did not see =
much insect=20
life. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>At the Drummond we saw buds of =
Coltsfoot, but no=20
flowers yet. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I managed to see 2 Red-winged =
Blackbirds at my=20
feeder near noon and a Grackle in Stellarton. Rick saw 13 Grackles near =
his=20
Westville feeder. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Spring was sure here in Pictou Co. =
today.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0336_01CD0096.876D15E0--