[NatureNS] bird activity Pictou Co.

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:56:40 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01CD03C8.0C726AE0

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Charlie Kendell reported a Killdeer on this daily walk around MacLellans =
Brook area this morning. There are a couple of nearby quarries where =
they usually nest.=20
In the afternoon Charlie and I did some birding around Pictou and =
Caribou Harbours.=20
There has been a noticeable increase in Ring-billed Gulls at the =
Aberdeen Parking lot near MacDonalds. I counted 100 there yesterday. =
Numbers had dwindled to 20-30 over the winter so birds are moving =
through now.=20

At the outflow of NSPC in Trenton, there was a single Killdeer and an =
imm Great Cormorant in the same place I saw it yesterday. This cormorant =
was not seen this winter before this. There were still 6 American Wigeon =
at Big Gut bridge, just outside Hillside.=20

At the Abercrombie meter plant, a Bald Eagle flushed from the nest as a =
second eagle came in with a claw-full of grass.=20
There did not seem to be any eagle activity at nests at Abercrombie Pt. =
just before the Northern Pulp plant or at the nest along the tracks near =
the Granton turnoff from the TCH 106 but there have been eagles near =
these nests and will likely be used.

At Pier C an imm Glaucous Gull remains . It has been present most of the =
winter. There were handfuls of Robins in most locations.=20
We watched a Red-breasted Merganser jostle and juggle a flounder many =
times before  the fish disappeared down the merganser throat. It was =
quite amusing to watch the head jerking required to get the width of the =
flounder down the throat.=20

An Eagle was present just below the nest at Seaview Cemetery in Pictou, =
but not sure if there was a second bird in the nest or not.=20