[NatureNS] Ring-necked Duck-Coltsfoot New Glasgow

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:26:54 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CD0534.B22A0930

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Nice day here in Pictou Co as well, but got very windy about 11 a.m. =
Juncos were busy singing along any wooded area this morning and Robins =
were numerous with more than 100 in the Durham-Lyons Brook area. There =
were a few Grackles here and there as well- maybe adding up to 30-40.
=20
A pair of Bald Eagles were on the nest along the river in Durham with =
the male rearranging a stick. At Lock Broom, the Osprey will be =
disappointed when they return as a pair of Eagles were on the nest =
platform used for years by Osprey, and were busy re-arranging the sticks =
in the nest. Not far away in Lyons Brook the nest in the pines had a =
Eagle low on the nest like it might be on an egg?

At the Pictou Causeway spillway, the 150 Greater Scaup were joined by a =
male Black Scoter.=20

Glaucous Gull was still at Pier C in Pictou

In the East River below the sewage treatment plant, a male Ring-necked =
Duck was with 35 Common Mergansers.
=20
Behind the Shell garage in Abercrombie, there were 3 Gadwall and 9 =
American Wigeon- a local movement of wintering birds into an area that =
has recently opened up.=20

For plants, I saw my first coltsfoot in bloom - about 8 flowers along =
the coal-lined bank behind the New Glasgow Wal-Mart.  I had a single =
crocus in bloom in my yard this afternoon.
------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CD0534.B22A0930

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Nice day here in Pictou Co as well, but =
got very=20
windy about 11 a.m. Juncos were busy singing along any wooded area this =
morning=20
and Robins were numerous with more than 100 in the Durham-Lyons Brook =
area.=20
There were a few Grackles here and there as well- maybe adding up to=20
30-40.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A pair of Bald Eagles were on the nest =
along the=20
river in Durham with the male rearranging a stick. At Lock Broom, the =
Osprey=20
will be disappointed when they return as a pair of Eagles were on the =
nest=20
platform used for years by Osprey,&nbsp;and were busy re-arranging the =
sticks in=20
the nest. Not far away in Lyons Brook the nest in the pines had a Eagle =
low on=20
the nest like it might be on an egg?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>At the Pictou Causeway spillway, the =
150 Greater=20
Scaup were joined by a male Black Scoter. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Glaucous Gull was still at Pier C in=20
Pictou</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>In the East River below the sewage =
treatment plant,=20
a male <STRONG>Ring-necked Duck</STRONG> was with 35 Common=20
Mergansers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Behind the Shell garage in Abercrombie, =
there were=20
3 Gadwall and 9 American Wigeon- a local movement of wintering birds =
into an=20
area that has recently opened up. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>For plants, I saw my first=20
<STRONG>coltsfoot</STRONG> in bloom - about 8 flowers along the =
coal-lined bank=20
behind the New Glasgow Wal-Mart.&nbsp; I had a single crocus in bloom in =
my yard=20
this afternoon. </DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CD0534.B22A0930--