[NatureNS] Re: re Golden Eagle at Upper Nappan

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 09:06:00 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_wYsHhMz3TYHCfVklozVW+w)

In light of the recent golden eagle sighting reported, I thought I'd
mention that only just a few days ago I noted what I initially thought
was a bald eagle slowly circling closer and closer to my house - but as
it got nearer, and continued to slowly circle I could see that it was
definitely not a bald eagle; head and tail were dark, though there were
traces of white on the undersides of the wings and tail; I then thought
osprey, but it was too big for that and there was no typical 'kink' to
the wings - which were stretched out flat.
It was in very good view for several minutes, and I was too busy trying
to decide what it was to think about getting my camera (which was not
far away), which is too bad in light of Ian's comments! Having viewed
Shawn's photos and others on Google Iwould say I was very likely looking
at an immature golden eagle...

Eleanor Lindsay,
Seabright, St Margarets Bay

On 19/03/2012 9:38 AM, iamclar@Dal.Ca wrote:
> All:
>
> Golden Eagle has been reported in Nova Scotia over 50 times, yet
> seldom with adequate details. So, congratulations to Shawn for
> obtaining, as far as I know, only the second photographic confirmation
> of the species here. (That's unless someone has been sitting on photos
> that I don't know about).
>
> Cheers, Ian
>
> Ian McLaren
>
> Quoting Shawn Miner <shawn.miner@mac.com>:
>
>> Good Evening,
>>
>> Here are some record shots of the immature Golden Eagle spotted this
>> morning.  It was south of Amherst Exit 4 near the junction of Hwys.
>> 302 and 2.
>>
>> http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q501/preserve101/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Shawn Miner

--Boundary_(ID_wYsHhMz3TYHCfVklozVW+w)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      reported, I thought I'd mention that only just a few days ago I </font>noted
    what I initially thought was a bald eagle slowly circling closer and
    closer to my house - but as it got nearer, and continued to slowly
    circle I could see that it was definitely not a bald eagle; head and
    tail were dark, though there were traces of white on the undersides
    of the wings and tail; I then thought osprey, but it was too big for
    that and there was no typical 'kink' to the wings - which were
    stretched out flat. <br>
    It was in very good view for several minutes, and I was too busy
    trying to decide what it was to think about getting my camera (which
    was not far away), which is too bad in light of Ian's comments!
    Having viewed Shawn's photos and others on Google Iwould say I was
    very likely looking at an immature golden eagle...<br>
    Eleanor Lindsay,<br>
    Seabright, St Margarets Bay<br>