[NatureNS] reporting locations

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:46:50 -0300

--Alt-Boundary-1250.448969218

Speaking from a wild flower enthusiast, i won't give detailed descriptions of
rare plants in case some ego enflated gardner thinks they can go dig up the
rarity and grow it on. Do that to a spot too many times and all the rare plants
are gone.
In our society , Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society, we will have some member
only field trips hoping to keep numbers down, less damage to a location and
hopefuly no digging at a later date.
Does that happen. YES
Years ago I led a group in to see the yellow ladies slipper (not so rare but
still!!) and asked every one to swear that they wouldn't return and dig them
up for their garden. Many years later one of the ladies came up to me at a
gardening event and told me how well her yellow slipper orchids were
blooming. I was totally disgusted with her as she had made a promise. Well
she kept her promise,,,, she took a friend with her and that friend did the
digging. Taught me a lesson not to be too trusting.
Heather

--Alt-Boundary-1250.448969218

<title></title>
</head>