Comment; long: was Re: [NatureNS] Scotts Miracle-Gro pleads guilty to

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:58:06 -0300

Hi All,                        Mar 20, 2012
    Predictably the concerns of Scotts' technical staff were ignored as in
"what do engineers know about cold O-rings anyway ?"

    And there are hints of fragmented responsibility; a recipe for bad news.
Unless the process has changed, our landfills have this flaw. NS Environment
defines the design, a contractor builds the landfill and an operator runs
it. When things go wrong, as they must, just blame the other two.

    A year or so ago, some official in the US filed a 'cause of death'
report with respect to a cadaver, who was then inconsiderate enough to come
back to life. The official then wiggled off of the hook by explaining that
his job was to determine why someone had died not whether or not they were
dead.

    Meanwhile the feds here cut CFIA staff by 207 and lay off staff at
Environment Canada and DFO as a way of stimulating the economy.

    About 100 years ago a rash of toxic products for man and beast hit the
market and this led to regulation etc. We are entering another like period.

    In November I bought some curry that I considered suspect [based on
flavor per unit volume and strong odor of urine after eating some] so I
saved a sample and discarded the remaining food.  I contacted the company
and talked to 3 (4?) people ending up with the head of Consumer Satisfaction
at head office (AKA "Don't Worry; be Happy" Dept.).

    The objections to my concerns would have made good material for a Goon
Show or a variant of Mike from Canmore--
Why and how would we test curry ? Curry is curry.
What do you mean it might contain an adulterant ? What is an aldulterant ?
The box says 'made in Canada'. It must therefore be OK because we have good
regulations.
Our curry could not contain Lead Chromate (a common adulterant of curry). If
someone added that then they would have to say so on the label.

    After mentioning the examples of toothpaste containing ethyleneglycol
and pet food containing Melamine (?) I was given verbal assurances that they
would test my sample. It will be a long wait I expect.

    The Scotts' story has a good ending; or so it seems. How many other
similar abuses meanwhile go undetected ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville