[NatureNS] Owl boxes and Raccoons

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:43:10 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f46d043c7dbe152ec104bbc024e4

Kevin and all,

My general philosophy with unexpected inhabitants of my owl boxes is to
just let them be (however, I'd evict non-natives like starlings if they
showed up). However, I deal in some years with over 100 boxes, but for
people using only one or two, to be 100% usurped must be depressing. Sheet
metal, as you suggest, is only effective if the raccoon doesn't have access
from a neighbouring tree. I have only done this once...it's too much of a
bother and expense. Raccoons are known to follow people to
nests...researchers found this out the hard way. My policy to reduce
predation is to make the nest box tree part of a circle route. In other
words, I do not walk to the tree and walk back out the same way...doing so
makes that one tree a focal point. I walk to the tree, then choose a
completely different path out...it's longer for me, but I'm hoping
predation is reduced.

There may be legal issues with regards to disturbing wildlife...I don't
recall if there is for raccoons...certainly there is with raptors, and I
suspect others.

My suggestion is to just build another box, and erect it nearby.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 20 March 2012 20:22, Kevin Lantz <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>   This evening I paid a quick visit to an Owl nest box I put up in 2011
> and found it occupied by a Raccoon. I now have to figure out how to evict
> him. I=92m sure someone here has run into this problem before. The tree t=
runk
> could be wrapped with sheet metal to prevent climbing but I suspect they
> would gain access using the neighbouring trees. Is there another method
> or should I look for a tree that is isolated enough for sheet metal to
> work? I don=92t think I have ever heard this mentioned in relation to Owl
> boxes but I wonder if all such boxes should be protected to prevent
> possible predation by Raccoons.
>
> Kevin Lantz

--f46d043c7dbe152ec104bbc024e4

abitants of my owl boxes is to just let them be (however, I&#39;d evict non=
-natives like starlings if they showed up). However, I deal in some years w=
ith over 100 boxes, but for people using only one or two, to be 100% usurpe=
d must be depressing. Sheet metal, as you suggest, is=A0only=A0effective if=
 the raccoon doesn&#39;t have access from a neighbouring tree. I have only =
done this once...it&#39;s too much of a bother and expense. Raccoons are kn=
own to follow people to nests...researchers found this out the hard way. My=
 policy to reduce predation is to make the nest box tree part of a circle r=
oute. In other words, I do not walk to the tree and walk back out the same =
way...doing so makes that one tree a focal point. I walk to the tree, then =
choose a completely different path out...it&#39;s longer for me, but I&#39;=
m hoping predation is reduced.</div>

ldlife...I don&#39;t recall if there is for raccoons...certainly there is w=
s to just build another box, and erect it nearby.</div>

n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:klantz@ns.sympatico.ca">klantz@ns.sympa=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

d a quick visit to an Owl nest box I put up in 2011=20
and found it occupied by a Raccoon. I now have to figure out how to evict h=
im.=20
I=92m sure someone here has run into this problem before. The tree trunk co=
uld be=20
wrapped with sheet metal to prevent climbing but I suspect they would gain=
=20
s. Is there another method or should I look for a tree that is=20
isolated enough for sheet metal to work? I don=92t think I have ever heard =
this=20
mentioned in relation to Owl boxes but I wonder if all such boxes should be=
=20
pan class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888">
/div>

--f46d043c7dbe152ec104bbc024e4--