[NatureNS] Owl boxes and Raccoons

From: "Kevin Lantz" <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:24:25 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_001B_01CD07A8.FDC72780

From: Laviolette, Lance (EXP)=20
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:09
To: Kevin Lantz=20
Cc: Randy Lauff=20
Subject: RE: [NatureNS] Owl boxes and Raccoons

Hi Kevin,

=20

I have American Kestrel and Eastern Screech Owl boxes up on my farm in =
addition 30+ Tree Swallow/Eastern Bluebird houses. Exclusion is the best =
option as far as I=E2=80=99m concerned but as Randy has already pointed =
out, it is expensive and often impossible to implement.

=20

For the most part, I have the same approach as Randy. For example, I let =
Deer Mice have their way over winter and only evict them when I clean =
out my boxes in the spring. This year I=E2=80=99ve left a Red Squirrel =
alone who has set up shop in one of my boxes. However, having  one of 30 =
out of circulation isn=E2=80=99t really a problem. They aren=E2=80=99t =
all used every year anyway. I use to clean out House Sparrow nests as =
they were getting built however given their steep decline in numbers I =
rarely see them in one of my boxes anymore and I let them stay if they =
do build a nest in one.

=20

Raccoon depredation is a big problem in my area. To reduce the risk of =
one following me to an active nest box as Randy described I=E2=80=99ve =
completely stopped visiting the boxes during the breeding season. This =
has worked very well and I see little to no depredation of my boxes now =
where during the year I was visiting them regularly (I even used a =
circular route as you describe Randy), I found a number of boxes that =
had the nests destroyed and adults killed.

=20

I will say I know at least two people who have run owl box trails who =
chose a lethal solution when they found a raccoon in a box. First they =
didn=E2=80=99t want the box usurped and second they were concerned that =
the raccoon had learned that the boxes were potential food sources and =
would visit others and kill the owls and young in them.=20

=20

That was their choice of course and I=E2=80=99m not advocating that =
approach. I=E2=80=99m only relating it to you as an option. Another =
option would be to live trap the raccoon and transport it out of the =
area. If you do this the animal should be moved at least 10km away from =
your site and preferably further. Unfortunately, transportation of an =
animal is not without  repercussions, both to the animal and to the =
location it is moved to.

=20

A last method you might try is to remove or open the roof on the box (if =
you=E2=80=99ve constructed it in a way to do so). This should get the =
raccoon to move off to a more sheltered location. Unfortunately it may =
be too late for an owl to take up residence this year depending on where =
you are located and the raccoon my check out the site again anyway. You =
might try leaving the roof off/open until late in the fall, at which =
time raccoons have probably found alternate accommodations, but before =
owls will have located a nest site. Unfortunately this method will =
probably reduce the lifespan of the box itself.=20

=20

Good luck,

=20

Lance