[NatureNS] Invasives

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:38:54 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f46d043bdf3ae7b5a404bbc5f218

I think the definition that Lance forwarded has a common mistake in it (not
Lance's, but the original):

"defines invasive species as "... coming from other countries or regions
and moving outside their native habitat".

Too often I see the words "range" and "habitat" used interchangeably.
However, if I'm correct, then the second part of the definition put forward
is redundant.

I will always look on House Sparrows and Dandelions and more as non-native
species. The "individuals" which are here, are native, but that's not the
issue; the species do not belong here. "Invasive" in my mind, refers to the
intensity of the foreign species' occupation. Hungarian Partridge are not
invasive here, though they still are alien; Japanese Bamboo is both.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--f46d043bdf3ae7b5a404bbc5f218

I think the definition that Lance forwarded has a common mistake in it (not=
species as &quot;... coming from other countries or regions and moving outs=
ide their native habitat&quot;.
quot;habitat&quot; used interchangeably. However, if I&#39;m correct, then =
the second part of the definition put forward is redundant.=A0</div><div>

 as non-native species. The &quot;individuals&quot; which are here, are nat=
ive, but that&#39;s not the issue; the species do not belong here. &quot;In=
vasive&quot; in my mind, refers to the intensity of the foreign species&#39=
; occupation. Hungarian Partridge are not invasive here, though they still =
are alien; Japanese Bamboo is both.</div>

=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

--f46d043bdf3ae7b5a404bbc5f218--