[NatureNS] Fw: Black-backed Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, many others....

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:33:37 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_010D_01CD0934.39F96F10

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Hans Toom=20
To: NS-RBA=20
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 8:33 PM
Subject: Black-backed Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, many =
others....

I went to Mount Uniacke Museum Park this morning in search of the =
Black-backed Woodpecker. I started out working the Old Post Road but =
although there were no woodpeckers evident I did see and photograph a =
Winter Wren, a tough subject at the best of times. I've always had good =
luck for woodpeckers on the Wetlands trail so I tried it next and found =
a male Black-backed Woodpecker within fifteen minutes. This male allowed =
me to take my best ever photographs of this bird. Look for the photos in =
my journal in a few days.

The Northern Mockingbird continues to hang about in our front yard in =
Portuguese Cove, either sitting in the rose brambles, collecting red =
grapes from the feeder or foraging on the front lawn. The Red-bellied =
Woodpecker visited Monday but continues to be an irregular visitor =
indicating that it has a large foraging territory. We also had our first =
yard Fox Sparrow on Wednesday.

The area around Crystal Crescent Beach Provincial Park, including =
Pennant Cove and Indian Harbour are productive for sea ducks; =
Red-breasted Merganser, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, White-winged =
Scoter, Black Scoter and Long-tailed Duck(a really dumb name for such a =
handsome bird). Savannah Sparrow have returned to the park and there are =
now several Fox Sparrows singing on territory. A "brown" first winter =
Northern Shrike was present on Wednesday. This bird is more correctly =
described as gray not brown!

On Tuesday a Peregrine Falcon crossed our path as Laura and I were =
walking along Sandy Cove Road. Ring-necked Pheasants are calling =
everywhere here, and mayflower is in bud.

Yesterday I toured Oakfield Provincial Park and found that Brown =
Creepers and White-breasted Nuthatches have returned in numbers.

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/
------=_NextPart_000_010D_01CD0934.39F96F10

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dhtoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans =
Toom</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3DNS-RBA@yahoogroups.com=20
href=3D"mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Friday, March 23, 2012 8:33 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Black-backed Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, =
many=20
others....</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I went to Mount Uniacke Museum Park =
this morning in=20
search of the <STRONG>Black-backed Woodpecker</STRONG>. I started out =
working=20
the Old Post Road but although there were no woodpeckers evident I did =
see and=20
photograph a <STRONG>Winter Wren</STRONG>, a tough subject at the best =
of times.=20
I've always had good luck for woodpeckers on the Wetlands trail so I =
tried it=20
next and found a male <STRONG>Black-backed Woodpecker</STRONG>=20
within&nbsp;fifteen minutes. This male allowed me to take my best ever=20
photographs of this bird. Look for the photos in my journal in a few=20
days.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The <STRONG>Northern =
Mockingbird</STRONG> continues=20
to hang about in our front yard in Portuguese Cove, either sitting in =
the rose=20
brambles, collecting red grapes from the feeder or foraging on the front =
lawn.=20
The <STRONG>Red-bellied Woodpecker</STRONG> visited Monday =
but&nbsp;continues to=20
be an irregular visitor indicating that it has a large foraging =
territory. We=20
also had our first yard <STRONG>Fox Sparrow</STRONG> on =
Wednesday.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The area around Crystal Crescent Beach =
Provincial=20
Park, including Pennant Cove and Indian Harbour are productive for sea =
ducks;=20
<STRONG>Red-breasted Merganser, Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, =
White-winged=20
Scoter, Black Scoter </STRONG>and <STRONG>Long-tailed Duck</STRONG>(a =
really=20
dumb name for such a handsome bird). <STRONG>Savannah Sparrow</STRONG> =
have=20
returned to the park and there are now several <STRONG>Fox =
Sparrows</STRONG>=20
singing on territory. A "brown" first winter <STRONG>Northern =
Shrike</STRONG>=20
was present on Wednesday. This bird is more correctly described as gray =
not=20
brown!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>On Tuesday a <STRONG>Peregrine =
Falcon</STRONG>=20
crossed our path as Laura and I were walking along Sandy Cove Road.=20
<STRONG>Ring-necked Pheasants</STRONG> are calling everywhere here,=20
and&nbsp;mayflower is in bud.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Yesterday I toured Oakfield Provincial =
Park and=20
found that <STRONG>Brown Creepers</STRONG> and <STRONG>White-breasted=20
Nuthatches</STRONG> have returned in numbers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DI=