[NatureNS] New caterpillar and moth books

From: bev wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:29:58 -0700
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

To all who are interested in moths,

As some of you may know, I split my time between Ontario, Nova Scotia, and southeast Arizona.   This past week, while at a social gathering of biologists and naturalists here in Arizona, David Wagner passed around a copy of the new book, "Owlet Caterpillars of Eastern North America" (Wagner, Schweitzer, Sullivan, Reardon).  If you've seen his earlier field guide, "Caterpillars of Eastern North America:  A Guide to Identification and Natural History", this is similar but a larger format book.  I had time to do a bit of flipping through it.   Many species are illustrated with a photo of the larva as well as two adult images (a spread museum specimen and a live adult).  It's really quite splendid.   David mentioned that work has begun on a western edition.  I've just ordered a copy of the eastern edition.

The other book that is due out this month is the new "Peterson Field Guide to Moths of Northeastern North America".  This is an all new edition by Ontario residents, David Beadle and Seabrooke Leckie.  I've seen a few sample pages and am looking forward to receiving a copy when it is released in mid-April.

regards,
Bev Wigney
Round Hill, N.S. in summer