[NatureNS] Barn Swallow Locations?

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 21:58:08 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_261B_01CD111B.B0229CE0

Hi Paul & All,                Apr 2, 2012
    I don't doubt the necessity of mud but, based on my memory, the mud =
need not be near the barn.

    When I was a kid in Cambridge Sta., Kings Co., we always had nests =
of Swallows in the barn (late 30.s to mid 40's,barn often not used, i.e. =
without livestock) and on the rafters of an open veranda.

    I assume these were barn swallows; nest were made of mud, possibly =
from a neighbour's farm pond several hundred yards away, as the Swallow =
flies, or a nearby Alder swamp. Late in the war we had livestock again =
but the soil near the barn (well drained Cornwallis Sandy Loam) was not =
mud friendly and, with few exceptions, cattle passed through the yard =
twice a year; once on the way to pasture and once on the way back.

    The Swallows also used a lot of hair in their nests (probably to =
increase stability). This they collected by dive-bombing our dog and =
cats and grabbing a beak full before swooping up out of reach.

    Just an aside about cattle & mud. About 1957-58 I found a relatively =
dry mud area pocked with deep cattle tracks; tracks had clearly been =
made when the soil was very wet and had subsequently dried. Virtually =
every track was lined with a felt of tiny Blueberry (Vaccinium) =
seedlings. Presumably these seed would have been washed into this muddy =
depression, either from decaying berries or from bird droppings.=20

    I have wondered since then if the word Vaccinium (of cattle) is =
directly related to the ability of Blueberry to germinate especially =
well on cow pocked mud [and subsequent spreading by rhizomes to higher =
ground in cow pastures].=20

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20