[NatureNS] Seals

From: "Tom & Terri" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 22:54:09 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01CD137F.02CBFDF0

Hi All=20

With the lack of Sea Ice this winter in the Gulf and elsewhere I wasn't =
expecting many "Northern Specie" to show up.=20

Over the past week there were a few "beaters" young Harp Seals around =
the harbour. Without the ice it's harder to tell with a bobbing head =
compared to the study of them you get while hauled out.=20

Last week because of the ice free conditions a couple of docks were =
returned to the Marina and yesterday, I/We were rewarded with great =
looks of a hauled out "saddle back" adult Harp Seal at the end of the =
finger.=20

While making my rounds this morning I discovered another seal hauled out =
this time on the inner part of the finger. To my surprise when I got =
close enough to ID it I found a "blue back", Juv. Hooded Seal. I quickly =
grabbed a few doc shots before it returned to the water. The last one of =
this specie I found I collected for the StFX collection and it ended up =
making its way to the Museum of Natural History's collection. As kids we =
use to find a few almost every year during late winter or early spring. =
I remember putting them in the tub with warm water and trying to nurse =
them back with them all passing away. Of course there was no shortage of =
transportation (sea ice) for the seals then.=20

On the up side without the heave ice I bet there'll be a lot less =
"Headless Seals" reported this year.=20

Tom K=20

Canso

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01CD137F.02CBFDF0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN lang=3DEN>
<P>Hi All </P>
<P>With the lack of Sea Ice this winter in the Gulf and elsewhere I =
wasn't=20
expecting many "Northern Specie" to show up.<FONT size=3D3 face=3D"Times =
New Roman">=20
</FONT></P><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<P>Over the past week there were a few "beaters" young Harp Seals around =
the=20
harbour. Without the ice it's harder to tell with a bobbing head =
compared to the=20
study of them you get while hauled out.</FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D3=20
face=3D"Times New Roman"> </FONT></P><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT =
size=3D2=20
face=3DArial>
<P>Last week because of the ice free conditions a couple of docks were =
returned=20
to the Marina and yesterday, I/We were rewarded with great looks of a =
hauled out=20
"saddle back" adult Harp Seal at the end of the =
finger.</FONT></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"> </FONT></P><FONT size=3D2 =
face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2=20
face=3DArial>
<P>While making my rounds this morning I discovered another seal hauled =
out this=20
time on the inner part of the finger. To my surprise when I got close =
enough to=20
ID it I found a "blue back", Juv. Hooded Seal. I quickly grabbed a few =
doc shots=20
before it returned to the water. The last one of this specie I found I =
collected=20
for the StFX collection and it ended up making its way to the Museum of =
Natural=20
History's collection. As kids we use to find a few almost every year =
during late=20
winter or early spring. I remember putting them in the tub with warm =
water and=20
trying to nurse them back with them all passing away. Of course there =
was no=20
shortage of transportation (sea ice) for the seals then. </P>
<P>On the up side without the heave ice I bet there'll be a lot less =
"Headless=20
Seals" reported this year.</FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D3 face=3D"Times New =
Roman">=20
</FONT></P><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<P>Tom K</FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"> =
</FONT></P><FONT=20
size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<P>Canso</P></FONT></FONT></SPAN></FONT><FONT size=3D2=20
face=3DArial></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01CD137F.02CBFDF0--