[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route.

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 04:34:26 +0000

--_32841435-2975-485d-b197-937d1f5af2b3_

On the evening of Apr. 14=2C Dorothy Poole=2C Gary Selig and I did my Lapla=
nd/Laconia owl monitoring route #35.  It was a great night to be out with i=
t being quite bright and a clear sky and temperatures ranging from plus 4 a=
t the start to plus 5 at the end.  There were tons of wood frogs and spring=
 peepers at just about every stop.  We ended up with 11 barred owls and one=
 long-eared owl.  This is the first year that we did not have a barred owl =
sit long enough to get good looks at one.  We had one barred owl that flew =
between Dorothy and I just as a car was coming by so it disappeared into th=
e woods not to show again. =20
=20
The long-eared owl was very interesting.  We heard it first before any play=
 back and both Gary and I thought that it might be a coyote.  After the fir=
st boreal play back=2C the call sounded exactly like a boreal owl.  Shortly=
 after playing the first boreal owl Dorothy spotted an owl flying across th=
e road.  The location of this owl was at a stop at the top of a hill with a=
 somewhat large field there.  The owl could be heard calling and moving aro=
und and along a wooded break alongside of a field on the other side of the =
road.  It kept calling and moved right around us.  After the play-back was =
over we were still trying to determine if the owl was a boreal or a long-ea=
red owl.  It could be heard to call along the edge of the field closest to =
us and we could see it on the ground at the field edge.  This owl appeared =
to move around very fast but was not flying.  It later came out into the mi=
ddle of the field of which I saw it there and my other members of the team =
had gotten back into the car.  I watched the owl actually run very fast alo=
ng the edge of the field.  I've never heard of an owl running before and th=
e speed of such was greater then I expected.   Has anyone else ever seen an=
 owl run rather then fly along a field or open area?  I would have expected=
 hopping rather than running.  Dorothy came back out of the car and observe=
d the owl with binoculars as it continued to move further away from us alon=
g the field edge.  From the actions and the habitat it definitely was a lon=
g-eared owl and an exciting experience.  It was interesting that it did not=
 seem to respond to play back of a long-earred owl but was very excited and=
 vocal when a boreal owl was played.  I know that Fulton mentioned this abo=
ut long-eared owls that he found on the latest Lunenburg Christmas Bird Cou=
nt.  They too would not respond to long-eared calls=2C but were very excite=
d by the boreal call. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_32841435-2975-485d-b197-937d1f5af2b3_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
On the evening of Apr. 14=2C Dorothy Poole=2C Gary Selig and I did my Lapla=
nd/Laconia owl monitoring route #35.&nbsp=3B It was a great night to be out=
 with it being quite bright and a clear sky and temperatures ranging from p=
lus 4 at the start to plus 5 at the end.&nbsp=3B There were tons of wood fr=
ogs and spring peepers at just about every stop.&nbsp=3B We ended up with 1=
1 barred owls and one long-eared owl.&nbsp=3B This is the first year that w=
e did not have a barred owl sit long enough to get good looks at one.&nbsp=
=3B We had one barred owl that flew between Dorothy and I just as a car was=
 coming by so it disappeared into the woods not to show again.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The long-eared owl was very interesting.&nbsp=3B We heard it first before a=
ny play back and both Gary and I thought that it might be a coyote.&nbsp=3B=
 After the first boreal play back=2C the call sounded exactly like a boreal=
 owl.&nbsp=3B Shortly after playing the first boreal owl Dorothy spotted an=
 owl flying across the road.&nbsp=3B The location of this owl was at a stop=
 at the top of a hill with a somewhat large field there.&nbsp=3B The owl co=
uld be heard calling and moving around and along a wooded break alongside o=
f a field on the other side of the road.&nbsp=3B It kept calling and moved =
right around us.&nbsp=3B After the play-back was over we were still trying =
to determine if the owl was a boreal or a long-eared owl.&nbsp=3B It could =
be heard to call along the edge of the field closest to us and we could see=
 it on the ground at the field edge.&nbsp=3B This owl appeared to move arou=
nd very fast but was not flying.&nbsp=3B It later came out into the middle =
of the field of which I saw it there and my other members of the team had g=
otten back into the car.&nbsp=3B I watched the owl actually run very fast a=
long the edge of the field.&nbsp=3B I've never heard of an owl running befo=
re and the speed of such was greater then I expected.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Has a=
nyone else ever seen an owl run rather then fly along a field or open area?=
&nbsp=3B I would have expected hopping rather than running.&nbsp=3B Dorothy=
 came back out of the car and observed the owl with binoculars as it contin=
ued to move further away from us along the field edge.&nbsp=3B From the act=
ions and the habitat it definitely was a long-eared owl and an exciting exp=
erience.&nbsp=3B It was interesting that it did not seem to respond to play=
 back of a long-earred owl but was very excited and vocal when a boreal owl=
 was played.&nbsp=3B I know that Fulton mentioned this about long-eared owl=
s that he found on the latest Lunenburg Christmas Bird Count.&nbsp=3B They =
too would not respond to long-eared calls=2C but were very excited by the b=
oreal call.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_32841435-2975-485d-b197-937d1f5af2b3_--