[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route.

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 06:56:24 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--20cf303a2ff3f522a204bdb4b7a6

The only reasons I can think of for an owl running is that it's injured or
has a prey item that 's too heavy that it's not willing to let go (.saw a
great horned do this once). I know you mentioned seeing one fly across the
road but could the running one have been a separate one? Just some thoughts.
Helene
On Apr 15, 2012 1:38 AM, "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  On the evening of Apr. 14, Dorothy Poole, Gary Selig and I did my
> Lapland/Laconia owl monitoring route #35.  It was a great night to be out
> with it being quite bright and a clear sky and temperatures ranging from
> plus 4 at the start to plus 5 at the end.  There were tons of wood frogs
> and spring peepers at just about every stop.  We ended up with 11 barred
> owls and one long-eared owl.  This is the first year that we did not have a
> barred owl sit long enough to get good looks at one.  We had one barred owl
> that flew between Dorothy and I just as a car was coming by so it
> disappeared into the woods not to show again.
>
> The long-eared owl was very interesting.  We heard it first before any
> play back and both Gary and I thought that it might be a coyote.  After the
> first boreal play back, the call sounded exactly like a boreal owl.
> Shortly after playing the first boreal owl Dorothy spotted an owl flying
> across the road.  The location of this owl was at a stop at the top of a
> hill with a somewhat large field there.  The owl could be heard calling and
> moving around and along a wooded break alongside of a field on the other
> side of the road.  It kept calling and moved right around us.  After the
> play-back was over we were still trying to determine if the owl was a
> boreal or a long-eared owl.  It could be heard to call along the edge of
> the field closest to us and we could see it on the ground at the field
> edge.  This owl appeared to move around very fast but was not flying.  It
> later came out into the middle of the field of which I saw it there and my
> other members of the team had gotten back into the car.  I watched the owl
> actually run very fast along the edge of the field.  I've never heard of an
> owl running before and the speed of such was greater then I expected.   Has
> anyone else ever seen an owl run rather then fly along a field or open
> area?  I would have expected hopping rather than running.  Dorothy came
> back out of the car and observed the owl with binoculars as it continued to
> move further away from us along the field edge.  From the actions and the
> habitat it definitely was a long-eared owl and an exciting experience.  It
> was interesting that it did not seem to respond to play back of a
> long-earred owl but was very excited and vocal when a boreal owl was
> played.  I know that Fulton mentioned this about long-eared owls that he
> found on the latest Lunenburg Christmas Bird Count.  They too would not
> respond to long-eared calls, but were very excited by the boreal call.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> Bridgewater

--20cf303a2ff3f522a204bdb4b7a6

red or has a prey item that &#39;s too heavy that it&#39;s not willing to l=
et go (.saw a great horned do this once). I know you mentioned seeing one f=
ly across the road but could the running one have been a separate one? Just=
 some thoughts.<br>

Helene</p>
; &lt;jrhbirder@hotmail.com&gt=
; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

On the evening of Apr. 14, Dorothy Poole, Gary Selig and I did my Lapland/L=
aconia owl monitoring route #35.=A0 It was a great night to be out with it =
being quite bright and a clear sky and temperatures ranging from plus 4 at =
the start to plus 5 at the end.=A0 There were tons of wood frogs and spring=
 peepers at just about every stop.=A0 We ended up with 11 barred owls and o=
ne long-eared owl.=A0 This is the first year that we did not have a barred =
owl sit long enough to get good looks at one.=A0 We had one barred owl that=
 flew between Dorothy and I just as a car was coming by so it disappeared i=
nto the woods not to show again.=A0 <br>

=A0<br>
The long-eared owl was very interesting.=A0 We heard it first before any pl=
ay back and both Gary and I thought that it might be a coyote.=A0 After the=
 first boreal play back, the call sounded exactly like a boreal owl.=A0 Sho=
rtly after playing the first boreal owl Dorothy spotted an owl flying acros=
s the road.=A0 The location of this owl was at a stop at the top of a hill =
with a somewhat large field there.=A0 The owl could be heard calling and mo=
ving around and along a wooded break alongside of a field on the other side=
 of the road.=A0 It kept calling and moved right around us.=A0 After the pl=
ay-back was over we were still trying to determine if the owl was a boreal =
or a long-eared owl.=A0 It could be heard to call along the edge of the fie=
ld closest to us and we could see it on the ground at the field edge.=A0 Th=
is owl appeared to move around very fast but was not flying.=A0 It later ca=
me out into the middle of the field of which I saw it there and my other me=
mbers of the team had gotten back into the car.=A0 I watched the owl actual=
ly run very fast along the edge of the field.=A0 I&#39;ve never heard of an=
 owl running before and the speed of such was greater then I expected.=A0=
=A0 Has anyone else ever seen an owl run rather then fly along a field or o=
pen area?=A0 I would have expected hopping rather than running.=A0 Dorothy =
came back out of the car and observed the owl with binoculars as it continu=
ed to move further away from us along the field edge.=A0 From the actions a=
nd the habitat it definitely was a long-eared owl and an exciting experienc=
e.=A0 It was interesting that it did not seem to respond to play back of a =
long-earred owl but was very excited and vocal when a boreal owl was played=
.=A0 I know that Fulton mentioned this about long-eared owls that he found =
on the latest Lunenburg Christmas Bird Count.=A0 They too would not respond=
 to long-eared calls, but were very excited by the boreal call.=A0 <br>

=A0<br>
James R. Hirtle<br>

--20cf303a2ff3f522a204bdb4b7a6--