[NatureNS] Eel Traps ?

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:13:47 -0300

Hi Dusan & All,                    Apr 20, 2012
    I have never used or seen an eel trap but I understand from a foksy book
(Older ways... ISBN 0-442-29628-2) that eel traps used to be woven locally
using Withewood (Viburnum cassinoides) or Willow in Europe.

    It is essentially a knee-high basket with a removable top (to add bait
or remove eels) and a funnel-shaped bottom. It is set with the bottom facing
downstream. Eels enter the large end of the funnel, exit into the basket
through the stem end of the funnel and can't find the way back out.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville