[NatureNS] Spring Migration Bird Count -- WHERE IS THE INFO?

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:56:32 -0300

styl

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01CD1F0E.2819E000

Hi Patrick

Yes, I saw the message on the first page of NSBS website a few times, but it
was not blue-lined.  Had to google it and came across one on the first page
of Google. It turned out to be bogus?  It was blank.

People were able to access the NSBS facebook, THANKS to  Blake Maybank who
published the genuine NSBS facebook address in his email yesterday.

Unfortunately,  people are forced to register in order to enter/ access the
NSBS Facebook, which is very disappointing.  I feel strongly it should be
made PUBLIC!     As I said before, many organizations and businesses
including my brother's have made their Facebooks public and open to anyone,
which I think is good for all. The important thing is ACCESSIBILITY for all.

I have no problem about people having to register in order to make a
comment, respond, share photos or post bird sightings.  I also have no
problems with people loving FB.

Nature NS is really for everyone at all levels.  We are able to get emails
directly in our email boxes.  We are all happy to help out with each other
and with information and problems with the identification.  Any reports on
birds, leps, bugs, crawlies, and other creatures are more than welcome.
Unfortunately, questions go un-answered or ignored so that people drop out
possibly feeling embarrassed or whatever.

There is a lot of people who do not belong to Facebook for different valid
reasons.

Just a few concerns to share with you all.

Thanks
Liz

Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Spring Migration Bird Count -- WHERE IS THE INFO?

Hi everyone:

I took a quick break from marking exams to clear out my NatureNS folder and
came across this thread.

The information about the count (along with the forms) has been on the cork
board section of the NSBS web site for as long as I can recall. I have just
updated the field trip information listing about that and included a link to
the cork board.

I will be mentioning the NSMC in the next e-mail note to all members, which
I had hoped to get out by the end of the day, as the NSMC lists have been
updated in terms of taxonomy, the change of a species name to common
gallinule, and to use the Canadian spelling of "gray" throughout. Since I
just got the new forms on the site today, I didn't want people to use the
old ones without knowing that new ones were available.

With regard to the society's facebook page, there has been a boldface note
at the top of the NSBS page, saying that we can now be found on Facebook,
for some time. I mentioned it at the end of last year in one of my e-mail
notes to the membership, and it was in my president's report which should
have been in the issue of NS Birds that just went out, but it seems to have
missed that issue.

As to the listing in the Blomidon Naturalist Society's website, I'm the
chair of the BNS program committee and that announcement gets put in every
year, with just the local information.

In any case, all of the information is now available, and should be known to
most NSBS members a month before the actual event.

Patrick Kelly

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01CD1F0E.2819E000

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY=20
style=3D"WORD-WRAP: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Hi Patrick</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Yes, I saw the message on the first =
page of=20
NSBS website a few times, but it was not blue-lined.&nbsp; Had to google =
it and=20
came across one on the first page of Google. It turned out to=20
be&nbsp;bogus?&nbsp; It was blank.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">People were able to access the NSBS =
facebook,=20
THANKS to&nbsp; Blake Maybank who published the genuine NSBS facebook =
address=20
in&nbsp;his&nbsp;email yesterday.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Unfortunately,&nbsp; people are =
forced to=20
register in order to enter/ access&nbsp;the NSBS Facebook, which is very =

disappointing.&nbsp; I feel strongly it should be made=20
PUBLIC!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As I said before, many organizations and =

businesses including my brother's have made their Facebooks public and =
open to=20
anyone, which I think is good for all.&nbsp;The important thing is =
ACCESSIBILITY=20
for all.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">I have no problem about&nbsp;people =
having=20
to&nbsp;register in order to make a comment, respond,&nbsp;share photos =
or post=20
bird sightings.&nbsp;&nbsp;I also have no problems with people loving =
FB.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Nature NS is really =
for&nbsp;everyone at all=20
levels.&nbsp;&nbsp;We are able to get&nbsp;emails directly in our email =
boxes.=20
&nbsp;We are all happy to help out with each other and with information =
and=20
problems with the identification.&nbsp; Any reports on&nbsp;birds, leps, =
bugs,=20
crawlies, and other creatures are more than =
welcome.&nbsp;&nbsp;Unfortunately,=20
questions go un-answered or ignored so that people drop out possibly =
feeling=20
embarrassed or whatever.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">There is a lot of people who do not =
belong to