[NatureNS] Spring Migration Bird Count -- WHERE IS THE INFO?

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:37:59 -0300

belong to

--Apple-Mail-335-164794643

The reason there was no blue line on the note about out Facebook page,
was because it required someone to log in to Facebook. That is the
case with the link that Blake provided. I thought it would be easier
for people to find it from within Facebook.

I had no idea you were related to John W. I'm going to miss that store
as it's only a few minutes walk from my office. While they do not have
a link to their public facebook page from their web site, I did find
it thanks to a google search. For those what want to see what a public
page looks like it is here:

http://www.facebook.com/JWDBooks

I also did some poking around, and it is possible to set up a single
public page that people can access that has very limited capabilities,
but does not require an actual Facebook account in order to access it.
I'll have to check and see if we can get something similar set up for
our Facebook area.

Pat

On Apr 20, 2012, at 3:56 PM, Elizabeth Doull wrote:

> [...]
> yesterday.
>
> Unfortunately,  people are forced to register in order to enter/
> access the NSBS Facebook, which is very disappointing.  I feel
> strongly it should be made PUBLIC!     As I said before, many
> organizations and businesses including my brother's have made their
> Facebooks public and open to anyone, which I think is good for all.
> The important thing is ACCESSIBILITY for all.
>
> I have no problem about people having to register in order to make a
> comment, respond, share photos or post bird sightings.  I also have
> no problems with people loving FB.
>
> Nature NS is really for everyone at all levels.  We are able to get
> emails directly in our email boxes.  We are all happy to help out
> with each other and with information and problems with the
> identification.  Any reports on birds, leps, bugs, crawlies, and
> other creatures are more than welcome.  Unfortunately, questions go
> un-answered or ignored so that people drop out possibly feeling
> embarrassed or whatever.
>
> There is a lot of people who do not belong to Facebook for different
> valid reasons.
>
> Just a few concerns to share with you all.
>
> Thanks
> Liz

> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Spring Migration Bird Count -- WHERE IS THE
> INFO?
>
> Hi everyone:
>
> I took a quick break from marking exams to clear out my NatureNS
> folder and came across this thread.
>
> The information about the count (along with the forms) has been on
> the cork board section of the NSBS web site for as long as I can
> recall. I have just updated the field trip information listing about
> that and included a link to the cork board.
>
> I will be mentioning the NSMC in the next e-mail note to all
> members, which I had hoped to get out by the end of the day, as the
> NSMC lists have been updated in terms of taxonomy, the change of a
> species name to common gallinule, and to use the Canadian spelling
> of "gray" throughout. Since I just got the new forms on the site
> today, I didn't want people to use the old ones without knowing that
> new ones were available.
>
> With regard to the society's facebook page, there has been a
> boldface note at the top of the NSBS page, saying that we can now be
> found on Facebook, for some time. I mentioned it at the end of last
> year in one of my e-mail notes to the membership, and it was in my
> president's report which should have been in the issue of NS Birds
> that just went out, but it seems to have missed that issue.
>
> As to the listing in the Blomidon Naturalist Society's website, I'm
> the chair of the BNS program committee and that announcement gets
> put in every year, with just the local information.
>
> In any case, all of the information is now available, and should be
> known to most NSBS members a month before the actual event.

=
=
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
=
=
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
=
=
MAIL                                   COURIER
PO Box 15000                           5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4R2           Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada                                 Canada
=
=
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
=
=

--Apple-Mail-335-164794643

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">The reason there was no blue =
href=3D"http://www.facebook.com/JWDBooks">http://www.facebook.com/JWDBook