Swift again: was Re: [NatureNS] 50th Anniversary of Silent Spring

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 13:33:47 -0300

  &lt;DIV&gt;Link to the o

--Apple-Mail-44-322942025

Hi DAve,

On 20-Apr-12, at 9:09 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

> Hi Again,                 Apr 20, 2012
>     In my earlier post I forgot the mention that the commentary in
> the top URL has some significant misinformation i.e. "Pesticides get
> more concentrated as they move up the food chain..."; a half truth
> and therefore a half falsehood.

I don't think erecting this straw man is warranted. If you read the
study itself (in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B) or the
popular exposition of it in Science Now (URLs of both below) you will
see that the study is confined to the effects of DDT and its
metabolites, which as an organochlorine, does bioaccumulate in lipids.
Thus its clear in both contexts that the use of the word "pesticide"
is strictly in relation to DDT and its metabolites. So, the context
makes clear: no half-truths or half-falsehoods.

>     Lipid-soluble pesticides are prone to bioaccumulation because
> they partition into lipids and are therefore less exposed to
> metabolic breakdown but even lipid-soluble pesticides require a
> multistage food chain to have much effect.
>
>     Shortly after this consequence of lipid solubility was
> recognized, a great deal of effort was expended to develop
> pesticides that were not prone to bioaccumulation and the earlier
> lipid-soluble ones were largely retired

DDT and other organochlorines were banned in 1973 in North America.
However:

1. Chimney Swifts migrate through central America and the Caribbean to
wintering grounds in northwestern South America and some of those
jurisdictions did not ban the use of DDT until substantially later.

2. Although the amounts of DDE (a stable metabolite of DDT) in this
study peaked in the late 1950's and declined until 1973 (when DDT was
banned), it did not decline subsequently, indeed there was a slight
(and statistically significant) rise until 1992 (when the chimney in
this study was capped). Indeed this continuing persistence of DDE in
the environment is still apparent in the proportions of Hemiptera/
Coleoptera in the Chimney Swift diet.

Moreover, since Coleoptera are hit harder by organichlorines than are
Hemiptera, and (overall) Hemiptera are at a higher tropic position in
the foodchain, and they consequently bioaccumulate more DDE then do
Coleoptera, so the fact that Chimney Swifts were consuming a greater
proportion of Hemiptera in their diets, means they were being
receiving a greater dosage of DDE.

The authors point out that the reasons for the global decline of
aerial insectivores remain speculative (and climate changes and other
anthropogenic impacts doubtless also play a role), however this study
provides a compelling (if preliminary) indication that DDT application
dramatically altered insect community structures from circa 1945-1973,
which triggered nutritional consequences for aerial insectivores like
Chimney Swifts and that at least some of those consequences persist to
the present day.

Cheers!

Chris

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/04/clues-to-species-decline-buried.html
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2012/04/15/rspb.2012.0445.full
--Apple-Mail-44-322942025

20-Apr-12, at 9:09 PM, David &amp; Alison Webster wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><div =
bgcolor=3D"#ffffff"><div><font size=3D"2">Hi Again, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Apr 20, =
[...]
bgcolor=3D"#ffffff"><div><font size=3D"2">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-converted-space">&nbsp;</span><strong>Lipid-soluble</strong=
to bioaccumulation because they partition into lipids and&nbsp;are =
therefore less&nbsp;exposed to metabolic breakdown&nbsp;but =
even&nbsp;l