Swift again: was Re: [NatureNS] 50th Anniversary of Silent

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:33:16 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

even&amp;nbsp;l
Hi Chris, Dave:  [buyer beware -- this contains some numbers but no locations]
Putting off marking some student reports .... Chris' comments seem
reasonable, but I share some of Dave's general misgivings in his
earlier post about the quality of the some parts of the swift guano
article.

Where does the '2.2 cm per year' guano accumulation that they
estimate, come from?  The deposit is said to be 2 m deep ('2' = one
significant figure -- a guess is that it is not uniformly flat on top
so that this may be an estimate of only the edge of the part
excavated).  There are three guano horizons available in the main
paper, [1] the top (0 cm, sealed 1992), [2] the cesium spike (70 cm
down, supposedly 1963) and [3] the bottom (200 cm down, opened 1928).