RE: [NatureNS] Petition - Bedford basin Infill / Bedford Reef

Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 16:49:54 +0000
From: desolatechair@gmail.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--20cf3071cfdec69f2504bfb1687f

> I'ma little unclear about why wouldn't it be appropriate to discuss the
> Bedford Basin Infill on a NatureNS list.

It's totally appropriate to discuss an issue. And indeed this is a worthy
cause. But there was no discussion in this thread, just a copy/paste of an
email and a request to sign a petition.

I assume there are probably guidelines for users of NatureNS that might
speak to this. I'm new to this list and not familiar with what's considered
acceptable so was/am expressing my personal preference to discuss natural
history and leave the advocacy to other forums. If it's acceptable practice
on NatureNS then "the dude abides".

On , Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> To all,

> I think it is perfectly reasonable to discuss environmental and
> wilderness/habitat preservation issues on NatureNS. I cannot see
> how "this type of polemic is a slippery slope that will limit the ability
> of NatureNS to be perceived as impartial...." NatureNS is a discussion
> forum, it doesn't have a voice or an opinion. Its members do, if they
> choose to do so.

> Dusan Soudek

> ---- Lynne Perry perry.lynne@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > As a nature lover I have always tried to protect habitat. I guess there
> may be a problem with any advocacy role for this site. If so, I am sorry
> as I forwarded this. No one need sign it unless they concur.

> > Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 13:08:23 -0700

> > From: aclairemiller@yahoo.ca

> > Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Petition - Bedford basin Infill / Bedford Reef

> > To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

> > I'ma little unclear about why wouldn't it be appropriate to discuss the
> Bedford Basin Infill on a NatureNS list. If not here, then where?

&gt; I&#39;m a little unclear about why wouldn&#39;t it be appropriate to d=
iscuss the Bedford Basin Infill on a NatureNS list.<br /><br />It&#39;s tot=
ally appropriate to discuss an issue.  And indeed this is a worthy cause.  =
But there was no discussion in this thread, just a copy/paste of an email a=
nd a request to sign a petition.<br /><br />I assume there are probably gui=
delines for users of NatureNS that might speak to this.  I&#39;m new to thi=
s list and not familiar with what&#39;s consid