[NatureNS] Garden bees

Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 05:24:05 -0300
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I don't think I'd call a honey bee "small slim". The workers are just one size.

Someone who is truly familiar with honey bees would not confuse any
other bee, wasp, hoverfly with a honey bee. Google "hoverfly photo".

Honey bees forage 5-8 km so considering hobby beekeepers, even in
metro, there are "tame" honey bees almost everywhere that people live
in NS. The vast majority of honey bees seen in NS are "tame". This is
not so further south.

I have seen 2 "bee trees" in my life with feral honey bees. One was in
Annapolis Royal & one was in the wilds of Hants Co. at least 5 km from
the nearest remote habitation.

Rick Whitman