[NatureNS] Garden bees

Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 09:25:37 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 5/14/2012 4:24 AM, Rick Whitman wrote:

>  The vast majority of honey bees seen in NS are "tame". This is
> not so further south.
>
> I have seen 2 "bee trees" in my life with feral honey bees. One was in
> Annapolis Royal&  one was in the wilds of Hants Co. at least 5 km from
> the nearest remote habitation.

* there used to be lots of wild Honey Bee colonies, at least in southern
Ontario, and I assume in NS, until the arrival of the Tracheal Mites -
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/apiculture/factsheets/219_hbtm.htm - in our
area in 1992.

We always had a wild colony in one of our Sugar Maples, but when we came
back from the field in 1992 the bees were all stinking and dead. Since
then the Varroa Mites have also arrived, and made the survival of wild
colonies even more precarious, though there are tales of selection
leading to colonies which are resistant to both species of Mites.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book
          http://pinicola.ca/books/SNR_book.htm