[NatureNS] Garden bees

Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 10:57:01 -0300
From: Peter Payzant <pce@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------020606040803030106030907

So I take it that if we can differentiate hover flies from bees,
anything we see that looks like a honeybee probably _is_ a honeybee, and
moreover is probably "tame", that is from a hive somewhere. Is that a
reasonable statement?

Peter Payzant
Waverley, NS

On 2012-05-14 10:25 AM, Frederick W. Schueler wrote:
> On 5/14/2012 4:24 AM, Rick Whitman wrote:
>
>>  The vast majority of honey bees seen in NS are "tame". This is
>> not so further south.
>>
>> I have seen 2 "bee trees" in my life with feral honey bees. One was in
>> Annapolis Royal&  one was in the wilds of Hants Co. at least 5 km from
>> the nearest remote habitation.
>
> * there used to be lots of wild Honey Bee colonies, at least in
> southern Ontario, and I assume in NS, until the arrival of the
> Tracheal Mites -
> http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/apiculture/factsheets/219_hbtm.htm - in our
> area in 1992.
>
> We always had a wild colony in one of our Sugar Maples, but when we
> came back from the field in 1992 the bees were all stinking and dead.
> Since then the Varroa Mites have also arrived, and made the survival
> of wild colonies even more precarious, though there are tales of
> selection leading to colonies which are resistant to both species of
> Mites.
>
> fred.
>          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
> Bishops Mills Natural History Centre - http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm
> Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
> Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
>          South Nation Basin Art & Science Book
>          http://pinicola.ca/books/SNR_book.htm
>     RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
>    (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/

--------------020606040803030106030907

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    So I take it that if we can differentiate hover flies from bees,
    anything we see that looks like a honeybee probably <u>is</u> a
    honeybee, and moreover is probably "tame", that is from a hive
    somewhere. Is that a reasonable statement?<br>
    Peter Payzant<br>
    Waverley, NS<br>
        I have seen 2 "bee trees" in my life with feral honey bees. One
        was in
        Annapolis Royal&amp;&nbsp; one was in the wilds of Hants Co. at least
        5 km from
        the nearest remote habitation.
      * there used to be lots of wild Honey Bee colonies, at least in
      southern Ontario, and I assume in NS, until the arrival of the
      Tracheal Mites -
      http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/apiculture/factsheets/219_hbtm.htm - in
      our area in 1992.
      We always had a wild colony in one of our Sugar Maples, but when
      we came back from the field in 1992 the bees were all stinking and
      dead. Since then the Varroa Mites have also arrived, and made the
      survival of wild colonies even more precarious, though there are
      tales of selection leading to colonies which are resistant to both
      species of Mites.
      fred.
      &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Frederick W. Schueler &amp; Aleta Karstad
      Bishops Mills Natural History Centre -
      http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm
      &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; South Nation Basin Art &amp; Science Book
      &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; http://pinicola.ca/books/SNR_book.htm
      &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
      &nbsp; on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
      &nbsp;&nbsp; (613)258-3107 &lt;bckcdb at istar.ca&gt; http://pinicola.ca/

--------------020606040803030106030907--