[NatureNS] Soras and Little Blue Heron in Miner's Marsh today, and hummingbirds on NSMC

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:04:03 -0300

Around  4.00 pm today in Miner's Marsh, Kentville,   I found the Little Blue
Heron perched in a tree very close to where Richard  had originally seen it.
As I headed along the trail to where it was perched,  it suddenly decided to
come down to look for food in the marsh, landing fairly close to me and
began hunting through the shallows.  In short order it found and consumed
what looked like a frog before flying back to the tree line up on the hill.

Also two Soras set up a competitive calling session very close by but I was
unable to locate them.

Saturday-  Count day:  During my visit to Palmeter's Woods for the count I
felt lucky to find a male hummingbird but I was in for more surprises.

That evening at our home on Ridge Rd while we were having dinner a male
Ruby-thr Hummingbird suddenly appeared in our garden and 'posed' there among
the flowering tulips.  He looked right into the windows as if he wanted
make sure he was being seen before disappearing to what I thought was a trip
to the hummer  feeder so I went to check and amazingly found a 2nd
hummingbird there,  only this one was a female hummingbird sitting at the
feeder.   A great hummer day!

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts