[NatureNS] Foiling the wily raccoon

Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 07:38:25 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>

>This may be old news to some but I recently made a discovery that
>saved time, frustration and bird food (when I forgot or was late
>coming home).  My bird feeders are on a steel pole about 7 feet high
>and raccoons had no trouble climbing the pole until my discovery.  I
>went to Dollarama and bought a jar of Vaseline and greased the
>bottom 4 feet of the pole.  Instant success!

What works better, Gary, and won't require re-application of greasy
stuff that will trap insects, is a 2 foot long section of 3" or 4" or
so tubing (PVC works well) hung from the bottom of the feeder with S
hooks. Anything that "floats" around the pole that the racoons can't
get their paws around will work. Search "bird feeder racoon guard" on
Google Images to get some visuals...

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3
902-404-5679 (home)
902-460-8343 (cell)

www.philschappert.com
www.papiliomusic.ca

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                        (Michael Hedges)