[NatureNS] Interest grows in thatched roofs -- May 21/12, Chronicle

Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 10:51:13 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
CC: Ruth Newell <ruth.newell@acadiau.ca>,

On 5/21/2012 3:46 PM, James W. Wolford wrote:
> Here is an article for Fred Scheuler & Aleta Karstad about elephant
> grass or reed grass (Phragmites) and the art of using it for thatching
> roofs, esp. at the Annapolis-Royal Public Gardens.

* thanks for forwarding this.

The article implies that all Phragmites in NS is alien. We had the
impression, in 2010, that there were only a few stands with the alien
morphology and the majority were native types, but consulting the
results I see that Paul Catling identified 3 of the 4 specimens we
collected as the invasive subspecies, but I suspect we stopped
preferentially for alien-looking stands.

Jef Achenbach has been trying to get action on invasive Phragmites for a
long time now, without much more Canadian success than we've had, and
he's been trying to preferentially use the native form for his Acadian
thatching, while preferentially harvesting the invasives for other
thatching to open up ("daylight") the stands.

Here, we now have our Counties committed to remove a small stand of
alien Phragmites from the roadside of an Orchid fen, so maybe we're
beginning to get some action.

fred.

--

fred