[NatureNS] Gaspereau

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 09:45:07 -0300

Dear All,                        May 24, 2012
    The topic of Canal route and now gaspereau brings to mind a question.

    For many years there was a screen barrier (1/2" hardware cloth I think)
between the two portions of Trout River Pond. Just upstream of this barrier
there was a narrow overflow that led eventually to the Salmontail River (Now
called Trout River).

    I had assumed that these screens served to deflect young Gaspereau from
going down the canal and in confirmation of this, when they were moving out
of Gaspereau Lake, a constant stream could be seen passing through the
overflow. [Probably more go down the ladder at Welton Landing]

    The last time I was there (2009 ?), I saw no screens and the rack for
holding screens looked neglected.  Is there now a barrier where Gaspereau
Lake enters the canal, to keep young Gaspereau back or has the barrier
between the ponds been replaced or is NSP now allowed to have a "what good
are they anyway ?" policy.

Yt, Dave Webster. Kentville