[NatureNS] Aerobic animal physiology question

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 11:28:29 -0300

Dear All,                May 27, 2012
    While discarding some old newspaper clippings one dealing with
"...nitrites can aid blood flow"; Nov 8, 2003, on which I had made the
notation [2NO2-  --> 2NO + O2] caught my eye.

    Connecting a few dots, it would appear that nitrate->nitrite/nitric
oxide conversion acts as an efficient system to deliver O2 to where it is
most needed, .i.e the above reaction is launched when O2 bound to
haemoglobin becomes depleted, NO dilates blood vessels locally and this
speeds delivery of O2 relaeased by the reaction.

    Is this substantially correct or am I reading too much into this ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville