[NatureNS] The bird collection at St. Francis Xavier University - ironies and deficiencies.

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:03:40 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--bcaec54ee3eeeb47aa04c1e5b572

All,

Firstly, thank you to many people both on and off this list for the
donations of bird specimens to the St. Francis Xavier collection over the
years. The collection continues to grow and my goal is to have an amalgam
of birds which truly represents the province=92s bird diversity. I want to
point out that no bird was killed *for* the collection. Hunters have killed
ducks for their tables, and I have acquired the skulls from some of these
birds. Most birds though are acquired after being killed by cats, cars or
windows.

If you suspect you can help fill out the collection, please contact me at
rlauff@stfx.ca. I am NOT requesting that anyone kill a bird simply to help
out.

I was looking over the inventory of specimens recently and two things
jumped out at me.

The first is that I=92ve got almost 130 species of bird represented (about
180 breed in the province), of which all but a few are native species
acquired here. The peacock and parrot were both pets and are examples of
some of the few which are not wild birds. Of those 130, most are breeders,
but some, like the Iceland Gull and Common Redpoll are wintering birds
only. There is a bias towards feeder birds (Purple Finch is the #1 window
kill) and charismatic birds (members of the general public are more likely
to pick up a road-injured hawk than a similarly injured gull). The bottom
line is that there are many species still not represented here. A list
appears at the bottom of this email.

The second thing that jumped out at me relates to the charismatic
birds=85there=92s an irony in the StFX collection that is reflected in unco=
mmon
species being represented, but common ones still, after 20 years
collecting, are still not. Some donations were too damaged to incorporate
into the collection. Here are some of those ironies:

I have a Black Vulture (no, not the one from my place), but no Turkey
Vulture.

I have no Canada Goose, Mallard, wigeon or Gadwall. I have no scoter,
scaup, goldeneye or Bufflehead. But I do have a King Eider!   Hunters =96
help! The heads are worth sending me (unless that=92s where the pellets wen=
t).

I have Sora, coot, moorhen, gallinule...but no Virginia Rail.

I have plenty of Yellow-billed Cuckoos, but am missing our breeding
Black-billed.

Thrushes...I have Swainson's and Hermit. I do not have a Robin !!! (though
I am sure there's one in the freezer).

I have Blue Grosbeak, but no Bluebird.

I have no black blackbirds. That's right...no grackles, Red-wings or
Brown-headeds...but I do have two orioles.

In addition to those ironic misses, here are some other vacancies in the
collection:

I have no PB or Horned Grebe; the only Red-neck I have is headless. I have
no decent fulmar or shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel.

I have almost all the routinely occurring raptors. I could use a Cooper's
Hawk, Rough-legged Hawk and Gyrfalcon.

I have almost no shorebirds at all (including phalaropes) (exceptions: one
Killdeer, several snipe, spotties and woodcock, and one Greater Yellowlegs)=
.

No terns at all.

Moderate on the alcids, but missing Common Murre, Razorbill, Great Auk
(just seeing if you're paying attention).

Owls - I'm good. People tend to turn these (and other raptors) in to DNR or
one of the rehab facilities.

I don't have Yellow-bellied Sapsucker or Black-backed Woodpeckers.

I have no tanagers.

Only Yellow-rumped, Ovenbird and Common Yellowthroat are represented by
more then one specimen for warblers. Most of the rest are not represented.

No wrens or GC Kinglet.

I have one swallow. Cliff.

Flycatchers are almost non-existent in the collection (I have one each of
Yellow-bellied and Alder).

I have sparrows which routinely show up at feeders, but no Swamp,
Sharp-tailed, etc. No Snow Bunting.

Birds still in the freezer do not appear in my inventory, so if you=92ve
donated something I=92ve listed as missing, rest assured it is likely still
there. Please do let me know if you find something that may be of interest.
I can be reached at rlauff@stfx.ca.

Thank you!

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--bcaec54ee3eeeb47aa04c1e5b572

pan></p>

an></p>

 you to many people both on
and off this list for the donations of bird specimens to the St. Francis Xa=
vier
collection over the years. The collection continues to grow and my goal is =
have an amalgam of birds which truly represents the province=92s bird diver=
sity.
I want to point out that no bird was killed *for* the collection. Hunters h=
ave
killed ducks for their tables, and I have acquired the skulls from some of
these birds. Most birds though are acquired after being killed by cats, car=
s or

an></p>

 you can help fill out the
collection, please contact me at <a href=3D"mailto:rlauff@stfx.ca">rlauff@s=
tfx.ca</a>. I am NOT requesting that anyone kill a bird simply to help out.=

an></p>

over the inventory of

an></p>

#1 window kill) and charismatic birds (members of the general public are mo=
re