[NatureNS] The Red-eyed Vireo is a Record-holder

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:01:40 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_00BC_01CD4AF7.0177D320

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi Blake and all.=20

When I saw the author name you mention, it twigged on a book that was =
given to me a decade or so by the late Elsie Locke from New Glasgow. It =
is indeed "The Lovely and the Wild" by Louise de Kiriline Lawrence and I =
found it buried in magazines on the back of my "throne" tank. A piece of =
tissue paper indicates I read 50+ pages and now that the book has been =
brought into sunlight, I will make an effort to continue to read it. =
Thanks for re-drawing my attention to writings of this naturalist.
Elsie had a series of bird feeders near the YMCA in New Glasgow (I think =
the Lockes- Dr. Howard and Elsie donated the land the "Y" was on to the =
town). One year Calvin Brennan and I found a Rufous-sided Towhee under =
her feeder for the count. At some point in time later, I was checking if =
it was still there. When I arrived home, I had a message on my answering =
machine from the New Glasgow police. Someone from the "Y " parking lot =
had seen me looking in the direction of the Lockes house and reported my =
plates. A quick call to the police eased their mind that I had no =
criminal motives in my "binos" pointed at the house.=20
The Lockes were very special people in the community with Dr. Locke =
working well after most retirement years and their generosity was well =
known. Elsie used to work at Ymenettes ( I think) book sales and she =
would note any naturalist like books I might be interested in. I suspect =
Elsie knew the author's work and was influenced by her writing.

all the best

Ken

 ----- Original Message -----=20