[NatureNS] Ocean acidification

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 21:33:54 -0300

Hi All,                    June 21, 2012
    It seems to me, iron fertilization, is a win-win-win idea. If conditions
are right (esp. adequate silicon and not excessive iron) then you get a
phytoplankton bloom containing diatoms/foraminifera (with Si or Ca carbonate
shells that sink on death [perhaps with enclosed oil globules]; win). Some
of the phytoplankton may serve as food for marine lifeforms and therby
increase marine productivity; win. And according to articles in the Ch. Hrd.
today & yesterday there are huge reserves of fine iron oxide dust that until
recently has been a useless by-product of iron ore processing. Another win.

    If it is such a great idea then why has it not been implemented to the
hilt ? Rhetorical question. 1) Because people in general are very stupid.
For proof, look at the the politicians we elect. 2) Because it takes a
widely recognized crisis, such as an imminent invasion, to focus the
collective mind (borrowed from Samual Johnson). 3) Because the idea of iron
fertilization has been actively opposed by Environmental Organizations from
the start, probably because it threatened their cash cow.

    A 2008 pilot project was cancelled largely due to Environmedallist's
activity; worrying e.g. that applying tons of iron dust would disrupt the
marine ecosystem. Well, in 1991 a volcano deposited 40,000 tons of iron dust
into the oceans and the sun still came up on time. So why make a big deal
over a test involving several tons ? Also it measurably decreased
atmospheric CO2 and increased O2.

    It would not be practical to apply 40,000 tons of iron dust even once
but the volcanic dust did not always land where it would have maximum
effect. Whereas an effective iron fertilization program would avoid areas
where response would be minimal.

    In addition (4), I think those who have run these fairly expensive
trials have been reluctant to apply less than an overdose of iron so they
can be sure of observing some response. And the flip side of this is the
real problem to be resolved; how to formulate a rate that leads to
satisfactory CO2 capture without triggering adverse effects associated with
massive blooms ?

    It will happen when some functional agency, such as the US Corp of
Engineers, is assigned the job by some country that assumes a leadership
role.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville