[NatureNS] Cliff swallows?

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 22:19:45 -0300

Hello All,

I realize that this is a rather tardy reply to the query below  but I was
away
from email for a few days and it's taken awhile to get caught up.  As well,
I do have some positive news regarding Cliff Swallows.
After doing some bird survey work organized by the local CPAWS chapter in
several potential future candidate Wilderness Areas near Amherst, and
spending a couple of days with a friend on Gulf Shore Rd, on our way home we
noticed a small group of gulls just after crossing Wallace Harbour about 1-2
km west of Wallace.  As we scanned the gulls (mostly Herrings but including
1 adult and 2 immature Bonaparte's), we noticed a remarkable number of Cliff
Swallows collecting what we supposed was mud and grass. These building
materials were being carried to a building across the road and so I walked
cautiously up the driveway.  As I approached, a gentleman came out of the
building and approached me.  I asked him if he realized that he was
receiving special recognition by the swallows, and without answering he
showed me a small sign on the building with information about Cliff
Swallows.  The birds were building their mud structures under his eaves.  He
felt quite honoured that the birds had chosen to nest there.
A sign on the building advertised Drysdale's Meats and I was speaking with
Mr. Drysdale.  It had been a long time nesting spot for CLSW.  Up to two
years ago, there had been about 12-15 families each year but last year, that
number had fallen to 6 pairs.  However, I counted at least 15 structures
although not all may have been active.  I counted at least 20 birds in the
air at one time so I suspect that the colony is back to its usual numbers.
More precisely, the location is on Betts Pt on p.18 of the Nova Scotia
Atlas, sixth edition, V4.

Cheers,
Bob McDonald
Halifax