[NatureNS] White Point comments

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:38:44 -0300

The day has been marvelous! I was taken, with a couple others, to Spectacle
Island, in Port Mouton Bay (we are members of the Spectacle Light Society)
to see if we could identify and salvage any plants around the old
lightkeeper's house foundation. Found some pinesap and some twinflowers, a
few very tall lady slippers and a noticeable absence of swallows. Lots of
Butterflies over there today as there are around our property. All seem to
be heading east!
It was not difficult for me but not something I would want to do everyday.
Well, no   that isn't true. I would love to do it everyday but I know I
would be in ruins pretty soon as far as my mobility goes.
In the yard in the past week (here in our yard) we have had more young
Robins; sparrows, various; Starlings and grackles but thankfully that seems
to be ending, crows, Purple finch babies, chickadee babies and what seems to
be a family of cedar waxwings.
The tree swallows are trying to coax young from the house since yesterday so
maybe by morning they will be flying. I will get up early just in case I can
see the first flight. They usually rest on our clothes line for a bit then
off they go. Usually lift off is July 1st but this year it is early. There
seems to be a solitary barn swallow down the road sadly. There were two for
awhile and the lone one is working so hard.
I still have a solitary female tree swallow still  in the chickadee house.
No peeps yet but she is hanging in there. Today the family all appeared and
circled and checked each house out then went on their way. The numbers in
the group are way down from other years. Maybe 5 this year. I do think it is
the same group as they pay me no mind what so ever.
There are three hummingbird nests in the immediate area, and no I still
don't know exactly where they are.
Best regards
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
oh ps, there is a fair bit of activity at the lodge. A big crane came in and
the steel appears to be going up.
http://MargMillard.ca