[NatureNS] Bedford/Sackville "Walmart" Osprey nest

From: ulli@dunlin.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 23:48:39 -0300

I did a stop at the Walmart Osprey nest in Bedford/Sackville (Duke St./DamascusRd).
There are three healthy looking youngsters in then nest, already past the downy stage.
The mother left and circled over the nest when a goshawk stirred up the neighbourhood, but
settled back down as soon as the coast was clear again.  Eventually dad showed up with a
sizeable fish for supper that was torn up and fed to the chicks.

The nest was put on a new pole sometime last winter.  Previously it was sitting on a power
pole next to the new designated nest pole.  Whoever was in charge of the moving job knew
that the new pole had to be higher than the old one, and it is by a good 2 meters.  Still the
nest is the one that offers the best eye level view on an active osprey nest in HRM.

For all those that don't know the location, best viewing without any risk of disturbing the birds
is from across the street from the elevated parking lot behind the strip mall (skybox
haircutters).  I always stay in the car and use it as a blind, but I don't think this is mandatory.
Trying to get closer by pulling into the driveway and walking up to the pole will flush the birds,
so don't do it.  the view is anyway better from across the street.

Ulli