[NatureNS] Bedford/Sackville "Walmart" Osprey nest

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 21:46:30 -0300
From: Paul Evans <pauldanielevans@gmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--B_3424455999_5597705

Hi Ulli,

I've photographed these Osprey from time to time. I visited this location a
day or two before the visit you described. Here are a couple of pictures:

http://paulevans.smugmug.com/Other/Birding/i-JjXCHCR/0/XL/IMG9204-XL.jpg
http://paulevans.smugmug.com/Other/Birding/i-gv3nkHX/0/XL/IMG9397-XL.jpg

Similar to you as well as Tuma (who posted a nice picture on the NSBS
Facebook page), I was able to see papa return with a good sized fish and
watch the subsequent feeding. Very nice to see the three chicks seemingly do
well.

I completely agree with your suggestion regarding the vantage point. Though
I usually set up on my tripod (with absolutely no interest shown by the
birds).

Paul

On 12-06-30 11:48 PM, "ulli@dunlin.ca" <ulli@dunlin.ca> wrote:

> I did a stop at the Walmart Osprey nest in Bedford/Sackville (Duke
> St./DamascusRd).
> There are three healthy looking youngsters in then nest, already past the
> downy stage.
> The mother left and circled over the nest when a goshawk stirred up the
> neighbourhood, but
> settled back down as soon as the coast was clear again.  Eventually dad showed
> up with a
> sizeable fish for supper that was torn up and fed to the chicks.
>
> The nest was put on a new pole sometime last winter.  Previously it was
> sitting on a power
> pole next to the new designated nest pole.  Whoever was in charge of the
> moving job knew
> that the new pole had to be higher than the old one, and it is by a good 2
> meters.  Still the
> nest is the one that offers the best eye level view on an active osprey nest
> in HRM.
>
> For all those that don't know the location, best viewing without any risk of
> disturbing the birds
> is from across the street from the elevated parking lot behind the strip mall
> (skybox
> haircutters).  I always stay in the car and use it as a blind, but I don't
> think this is mandatory.
> Trying to get closer by pulling into the driveway and walking up to the pole
> will flush the birds,
> so don't do it.  the view is anyway better from across the street.
>

> Ulli

--B_3424455999_5597705

pace; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size:=
ion a day or two before the visit you described. Here are a couple of pictur=
ding/i-JjXCHCR/0/XL/IMG9204-XL.jpg">http://paulevans.smugmug.com/Other/Birdi=
ns.smugmug.com/Other/Birding/i-gv3nkHX/0/XL/IMG9397-XL.jpg">http://paulevans=
.smugmug.com/Other/Birding/i-gv3nkHX/0/XL/IMG9397-XL.jpg</a>&nbsp;</div><div=
 the NSBS Facebook page), I was able to see papa return with a good sized fi=
sh and watch the subsequent feeding. Very nice to see the three chicks seemi=
on regarding the vantage point. Though I usually set up on my tripod (with a=
ailto:ulli@dunlin.ca">ulli@dunlin.ca</a>" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ulli@dunlin.ca=
OOK_ATTRIBUTION_BLOCKQUOTE" style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #b5c4df 5 solid; PADDING:0 0=
 0 5; MARGIN:0 0 0 5;"><div>I did a stop at the Walmart Osprey nest in Bedfo=
rd/Sackville (Duke St./DamascusRd).</div><div>There are three healthy lookin=
g youngsters in then nest, already past the downy stage.</div><div>The mothe=
r left and circled over the nest when a goshawk stirred up the neighbourhood=
, but </div><div>settled back down as soon as the coast was clear again.&nbs=
p;&nbsp;Eventually dad showed up with a </div><div>sizeable fish for supper =
s put on a new pole sometime last winter.&nbsp;&nbsp;Previously it was sitti=
ng on a power </div><div>pole next to the new designated nest pole.&nbsp;&nb=
sp;Whoever was in charge of the moving job knew </div><div>that the new pole=
 had to be higher than the old one, and it is by a good 2 meters.&nbsp;&nbsp=
;Still the </div><div>nest is the one that offers the best eye level view on=
on't know the location, best viewing without any risk of disturbing the bird=
s </div><div>is from across the street from the elevated parking lot behind =
the strip mall (skybox </div><div>haircutters).&nbsp;&nbsp;I always stay in =
the car and use it as a blind, but I don't think this is mandatory.</div><di=
v>Trying to get closer by pulling into the driveway and walking up to the po=
le will flush the birds, </div><div>so don't do it.&nbsp;&nbsp;the view is a=

--B_3424455999_5597705--