[NatureNS] Trip back to Amherst Marsh

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 04:02:47 +0000

--_9c374c83-014d-4aae-bf22-475fcff45893_

Hi all:
=20
Yesterday=2C Kevin Lantz=2C myself and Dorothy Poole took a run to Folly Mo=
utain and Amherst.  It was a great day with about 76 or so species and 70 s=
een by all of us.  Highlights were great looks at the mourning warbler in F=
olly Mountain and of a winter wren perched within a few feet.  We had a Swa=
inson's thrush out in the open and singing about 10-15 feet from us.  At Am=
herst it was good to see 16 black terns and the cliff swallows there.  Than=
k you Jeff. =20
=20
The eastern phoebe did not seem to be at Wentworth anymore. =20
=20
Lots of butterflies and dragonflies about.  We had a number of monarchs in =
response to an earlier posting. =20
=20
I'm not sure where the previous beaver was reported as dead=2C but there wa=
s a large one by the 104 just before River Phillip. =20
=20
I've never seen so many dead crows on the road before.  There were probably=
 two dozen.  Likely=2C young inexperienced birds.   There appeared to be an=
 ant hatch on everywhere and we observed American crows picking up and eati=
ng these ants at a number of locations.  I suspect that is why most were in=
 the middle of the road and killed as they were after this food source.
=20
Since my posting on the response for the cliff swallows I've heard of a num=
ber of locations including one spot where I thought that they had not retur=
ned to this year where they are now nesting again. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_9c374c83-014d-4aae-bf22-475fcff45893_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT size=3D3>Hi all:</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Yesterday=2C Kevin Lantz=2C myself and Dorothy Poole took a =
run to Folly Moutain and Amherst.&nbsp=3B It was a great day with about 76 =
or so species and 70 seen by all of us.&nbsp=3B Highlights were great looks=
 at the mourning warbler in Folly Mountain and of a winter wren perched wit=
hin a few feet.&nbsp=3B We had a Swainson's thrush out in the open and sing=
ing about 10-15 feet from us.&nbsp=3B At Amherst it was good to see 16 blac=
k terns and the cliff swallows there.&nbsp=3B Thank you Jeff.&nbsp=3B </FON=
T><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>The eastern phoebe did not seem to be at Wentworth anymore.&=
nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Lots of butterflies and dragonflies about.&nbsp=3B We had a =
number of monarchs in response to an earlier posting.&nbsp=3B </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>I'm not sure where the previous beaver was reported as dead=
=2C but there was a large one by the 104 just before River Phillip.&nbsp=3B=
 </FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>I've never seen so many dead crows on the road before.&nbsp=
=3B There were probably two dozen.&nbsp=3B Likely=2C young inexperienced bi=
rds.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B There appeared to be an ant hatch on everywhere and we=
 observed American crows picking up and eating these ants at a number of lo=
cations.&nbsp=3B I suspect that is why&nbsp=3Bmost were in the middle of th=
e road and killed as they were after this food source.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Since my posting on the response for the cliff swallows I've=
 heard of a number of locations including one spot where I thought that the=
y had not returned to this year where they are now nesting again.&nbsp=3B <=
/FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp=3B<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Bridgewater</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_9c374c83-014d-4aae-bf22-475fcff45893_--