[NatureNS] monarchs and

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 11:50:36 -0300

We have a number of Monarchs butterflies in noticeably different sizes about
yesterday and today, both here, in town and in Lunenburg. Quite early for
here and more than normal.
The one family of tree swallows fledged Monday in heavy rain, five chicks,
and have gone. I only see one swallow about now. She is using the house over
the grapevine and is leaving to fly once in awhile. She is super protective
of her nest. She put the boots to a red-winged blackbird that paused there
and he still is shaken, I am sure!!
 There may be very quiet peeps now but I cannot tell over the very loud
cheeps coming from the woodpecker's hole now occupied by the starlings in
the big maple aside the driveway. I don't know what happened to the solitary
barn swallow. Usually when we go to watch the fireworks in town there are
swallows wheeling over head, tree swallows, but none this year. I do know of
a couple nests so I expect they got off a week early as our one house did.

We have fledgling hummingbirds this morning. They are pretty and so clean
and a bit dosey. I have the hose on and ready to soak any cat that come by.
Looks like we are getting a shower shortly. Gardens can use that!
 Heard a story last evening about 'yellow hammer woodpeckers', maybe
northern Flickers?, being hand raised and fledged successfully from this
property back in the 50's. There were a couple survivors who returned to the
property the following year and let the woman know they were her chicks.
Pablum was what she use to feed them by eye dropper and the company sent it
to them free of charge!

We appear to have lost the one legged Junco that was staying close by the
feeder. I though to see could we get it to Helene but it was so skittish I
didn't want to terrify it.

Best regards

Marg Millard, White Point, Queens