Dry weather and perennial crops: Fw: [NatureNS] Freshwater Shortages

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:05:14 -0300

Hi Again,                     July 13, 2012
    I got off on a tangent, in my previous post, and forgot to comment on
the weather so far this growing season.

    Given a good soil, about 6" of available water in the upper metre
(enough for about 6 weeks of evapotranspiration in the NE), deep rooted
established perennial crops such as apple can readily go for a month without
rain or a full growing season if roots go down to 3-4 metres.

    I have noticed that growth of most established plants this year is
unusually rank; i.e. trees, lawn 'weeds', grass and even annual plants have
grown will water or care. Our typical spring and early summer often has too
much water; leaching of nutrients from the rooting zone and poor aeration.
But Ash trees, both in the yard and in the woods seem stressed this year;
not disease or insects just indifferent foliage and ragged growth.
Yt, DW, Kentville