[NatureNS] Freshwater Shortages and Bay of Fundy Tides

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 18:57:21 -0300

Hi Patricia & All,                    July 13, 2012
    I don't know Greg Gerrits but I do know Elmridge Farm produce; top
quality and this implies unusually good management. So I would be inclined
to accept his observation of well replenishment rates as a function of
something to do with tides but it can not caused directly by height of
saltwater in the 'nearby' shore.

    Flow of any liquid in a porous medium is directly proportional to
hydraulic gradient (head z/lateral displacement y) and inversely
proportional to resistance. A head difference of 10m over lateral
displacement of 10 km (hydraulic gradient = 0.001) would induce essentially
zero flow  Or approaching this from the other direction, when water is
pumped exhaustively from a well the water table (drawing on memory) is
seldom lowered beyond a radius of 50 metres.

    I would suspect that a tidal effect leads to a local artificial
hydraulic gradient. In effect, water running uphill to the well (and well
vicinity) during this peak inflow period.

    I ran into NatureNS by accident some years ago while trying to find some
understandable explanation of tidal effects on the internet. The nearest I
have come to an explanation was some oracular comment to the effect that it
is explained by math that almost no one understands. But meanwhile the tides
come in and go even though I don't understand how it works.

YT, Dave Webster, Kentville