[NatureNS] Freshwater Shortages and Bay of Fundy Tides

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 21:48:05 -0300
From: Doug Linzey <doug@fundymud.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

David W., you comment:

>    I ran into NatureNS by accident some years ago while trying to find
> some understandable explanation of tidal effects on the internet. The
> nearest I have come to an explanation was some oracular comment to the
> effect that it is explained by math that almost no one understands.
> But meanwhile the tides come in and go even though I don't understand
> how it works.

One of our local oracles, and most lucid explainers of tides, is Roy
Bishop (retired Acadia physics prof). This site has a couple of short
articles by Roy outlining the source of tides, and the Fundy phenomenon
in particular:
www.thehighesttides.com/what-causes-the-highest-tides.shtml

Membership in the Blomidon Naturalists Society and our quarterly
newsletter gets you a regular dose of Roy's thoughts on interesting
phenomena both astronomical and terrestrial (see blomidonnaturalists.ca).

[One thing Roy probably can't do, though, is explain "tidal effects on
the internet."]

Cheers,
Doug Linzey