[NatureNS] Short-billed Dowitcher photos

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:22:04 -0300

Hi, Rick.

I agree with Richard that the Short-billed Dowitchers in photos 83 to 88
look like members of the griseus race.  In photo 89, however, there is a
likely-looking hendersoni - the one seen in profile facing right, at the
leading edge of the mud, a little above and to the right of the centre of
the photo.  The bird immediately to its left may also be hendersoni, but not
enough of it is showing, to tell.

You saw these birds in the field, though, so you're in a better position to
ID them to race.  The fieldmarks I use to distinguish these two sub-species
in breeding plumage are:

griseus:
- orange neck and breast, paler orange than hendersoni.
- mostly white belly.
- usually heavy barring on flanks, heavy spotting on breast-sides, neck
(including foreneck) and undertail.
- dull upperparts with narrow pale rufous markings (may be absent in worn
plumage).

hendersoni:
- darker orange underparts, brightest on neck, with orange on belly and
undertail; may show white area on belly but much smaller than in griseus.
- sides of breast and flanks marked with spots and short bars.
- no spotting on foreneck or belly, less spotting on undertail than griseus.
- broader orange markings on upperparts.
- new non-breeding wing coverts are paler grey than in griseus, and are
neatly fringed in white.

The birds in your photos 83 to 88 have too much white showing on the belly
to look like hendersoni, and show spotting on the foreneck and belly.  The
one I've described in photo 89, though, shows darker, richer orange
underparts, including the undertail, with a relatively small white patch on
the belly.

One complicating factor is that there is a hybrid population that breeds on
the south shore of Hudson Bay, that is intermediate in breeding plumage
between griseus and hendersoni - just for fun!  Another complication is that
they become much more similar as they moult out of breeding plumage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Susann Myers