[NatureNS] Notes from Brier Island

From: Richard <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 23:41:37 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi,

All of NS has been basking in hot sunshine except Brier Island, where it is warm, humid, and thick fog - except for yesterday afternoon, when the sun came out long enough for me to enjoy a  whale-watching trip. There was no shortage of Humpback Whales, including a youngster that delighted the boat- load with breaching, flapping its flukes repeatedly on the water, rolling over and swimming under the boat. However, unfortunately for me, there were very few seabirds - Wilson's Storm petrels were abundant but there were no Phalaropes.

Otherwise, there are plenty of gray shapes flitting about in the tops of foggy trees, but they include large numbers of White-winged Crossbills, a few Red Crossbills and Pine Siskins, and more Red-breasted Nuthatches than I have seen for a long time. Locally breeding warblers are also moving around - mostly local,young, I presume. (Magnolia, Bl-thr.green, C.Yellowthroat, Redstart, B&W, + Boreal and Black-capped Chickadees, Winter Wrens, many G-C Kinglets etc.).

Pond Cove has been too foggy to see much, but as far as I could tell there were just the expected Peeps.

An interesting sighting at Whipple Point was a N. Harrier that flushed, and when we looked, on the ground was a half-eaten 1M. long Garter Snake, with about 20 tiny young lying beside its abdomen. At least 1 was still moving. I also saw some close interaction between an adult F and 2 juv plumaged Harriers.

Richard Stern
Sent from my iPad