[NatureNS] Cattle Egret, Solitary Sandpiper

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:43:51 -0300

The road (by the dykes/ water) to the uneven grassy field where the Holstein
cows (black and white) and the cattle egret was easy and not rough.  No
ditches.  Just drive slowly.   Got good looks at the cattle egret.  It was
either following its favourite cows.  Sometimes some cows followed it!    Oh
yes, two cows were attempting to copulate??

Afterwards, I visited the Miner's Marsh and found that the water level has
gone dow exposing the dry edges.  No sign of the Great Egret.  Birds I found
there were:

1 Solitary sandpiper
1 Greater Yellow legs
2 Lesser yellow legs
2 Spotted sandpipers
3 Peewees (two side by side)
2 Eastern Kingbirds
1 Least sandpiper
2 semi sandpipers

A good birdy day despite the heat and humidity.   it was 30 C.

Many thanks to Rick Whitman for reporting his find.

Cheers,
Liz