[NatureNS] Cattle Egret, Solitary Sandpiper

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:13:58 -0300
From: g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Liz,

The dairy cattle belong to the Curry family, most dairy farms in Nova
Scotia use artificial insemination for their breeding programs and
thus don't keep bulls. There are some farms that would run a smaller
beef bull with their cattle to be certain all cows are bred, but this
bull would "look different", another breed. The heifers in the Curry
pasture were probably just "frisky", the heifer that was mounting was
in heat, the farmers watch for this so they know when the heifer or
cow is in "standing heat", she with stand still to be bred AI by the
farmer.

Glad you had a good day in the Valley.

George Forsyth