[NatureNS] Birds in White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:03:26 -0300

Things are finally slowing here a bit. The big rush of hummingbirds fueling
up has finished for now although we do have at least five birds today. The
three feeders were drained each day     and refilled as soon as I saw they
were empty. They are most definitely feeding after dark. I watched again to
see and yes it is the little birds. Missing is one particular female who has
been coming for a few years now. She has an odd wing and is quite easy when
I am out and about. The past two years she has had late nests and leaves in
October. I haven't seen her for a bit so she may still be nesting (I hope or
she is lost) I hope not. The cats from the neighbourhood have taken a tole
at all the neighbourhood feeders. We have placed the feeders higher and try
to dissuade the felines with  blasts    from the hose but I fear they are
beginning to like it if only just to thwart us.
Last   evening is the first time I have seen two of the latest 4 Northern
Flicker fledges in my yard without  the adult teaching them. Very fluffy and
plump and gregarious! Enthusiastic diggers too!
We lost a  song       sparrow to panic in the greenhouse where I just could
not get it out. It was so hot in there. She had a family she was feeding so
I expect they are lost as well.
Bird that has been driving me foolish seems to have moved on. For over 5
weeks all day and all evening it would sit treetop and call, the same two
calls over and over, about a half hour with one, a couple calls that were a
different pitch and then return to the original. Such a penetrating call!
hits somewhere in the reaches of my brain. At first I thought it was the
varied thrush but then decided it had to be a redwinged but to be truthful I
just haven't had  a good enough look to say for sure. It was attended to by
Red winged blackbirds and even a grackle and would fly out with them then
return shortly to the tree above the red winged nest site. The calls on the
internet are close but not the same. I was sure the other day I saw applets
but then I did catch it with binoc very briefly and it was not right from
underneath. It seemed paler blue and orange so I have no idea. No call I
have heard today and very noticeably none last evening.
We were over run with snails last year. They are trying to make a return
visit but I have a helper now. I watched as a BlueJay with 5 young all
fussing/begging to be fed. First she tried  pulling the insides from the
shells, then in desperation she started ramming shell and all into the
mouths of the youngsters. I don't know how they will survive that or if they
will but she sure tidied up the yard!
Going to be a nice day. They are making headway at the resort with the
rebuilding and announced this week that three Piping plover   chicks made it
to fledge.
Best regards, Marg Millard, White Point,  Queens