[NatureNS] Birds in White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 11:08:22 -0300

A lovely male Baltimore Oriole is singing away in the apple trees behind the
house as I write this. Heavenly sound being drowned out by Steve mowing (got
to be done lest we disappear!). The trees are in bloom, One halfway through
the cycle, one winding up and the far one more loaded with blooms than I
remember before. Wonderful display from trees planted well over a 100 years
ago. The  wax wings are here and warblers various. We have a number of
hummingbirds, male and female. Maybe this year I will find a nest but after
22 years of trying (without bothering the birds) I am not sure I will ever
find one.
Grackles have moved young from one of the trees to the ground and shrubs.
I'm thinking one young doesn't quite match the rest so maybe a cow bird
female was here and I missed seeing her. I saw one quite early but thought
snow and freezing temperatures would mean no eggs. The Red crossbills have
been back again and seem quite comfortable with me coming and going so I am
calling them resident.
Goldfinches, Purple finches, WB Nuthatches, Blue Jays, occasionally
Starlings, Too Many grackles, Hairy woodpeckers (no Downies for awhile now,
very unusual) Red-winged blackbirds, Red crossbills, Catbird, Mourning doves
and the other day 3 pigeons, the oriole; have only seen the male, and a
variety of sparrows although their numbers have dropped drastically at the
feeders, and the Shrike. Over head that I can id are Tree Swallows, Barn
swallows and last night for the first time here this season, Nighthawks.
Warblers and vireos are harder to Id but they are here.
Best regards
Marg Millard ,White Point, Queens