[NatureNS] Feeder Protector behaviour

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:42:24 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--bcaec50162a1a078d104c6e98327

Hi Larry, happens every year at my place, and every year we get a few
injured ones that have been bodyslammed into the window by another (just
released one yesterday in fact ). Hummingbirds are cute but obnoxious :)
Helene
Ps, i sometimes jokingly call it testosterone poisoning as it's usually
males guarding the feeder and fighting
On Aug 10, 2012 10:35 AM, "Larry at Bogan.ca" <larry@bogan.ca> wrote:

> All during the summer we had one family of hummingbirds, but then then in
> the last two weeks there has been an influx of hummers.
>
> Now I have three feeders up and for awhile there was heavy feeding with as
> many as seven or more hummers. They would share and feed together. There
> has been a change in the last week and each of the feeders has a 'defender'
> usually a male hummer. This bird will not let any other hummer feed at
> 'its' feeder. It sits in a nearby tree or bush and if another hummer
> approaches, dive bombs that bird away.
>
> At first I moved feeders around hoping to confuse the 'defender' but
> quickly a bird takes up station at that feeder. Despite the number of
> hummers being about the same, the feeding has declined dramatically.
>
> Has anyone else observed this seemingly, non-productive behaviour?
>
> Puzzled
> Larry
> --
> Larry Bogan
> Cambridge Station, Nova Scotia
> larry@bogan.ca

--bcaec50162a1a078d104c6e98327

jured ones that have been bodyslammed into the window by another (just rele=
ased one yesterday in fact ). Hummingbirds are cute but obnoxious :)<br>

Helene<br>
Ps, i sometimes jokingly call it testosterone poisoning as it&#39;s usually=
 males guarding the feeder and fighting</p>